Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 25 of 120 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

Perfect thx

Just in case you are looking at squeezing the status monitor into your panel, you'll need a standard 2.25" hole (or 57mm as we like to call them) and behind the panel you're looking at 82mm wide x 62mm high x 31mm deep. It's simply wired in parallel to your RDAC CAN and a normal power and ground. That's it

The manual gives a long list of the error messages it'll give you and having looked at the queries on the Rotax forum I reckon it's much more user-friendly than trying to diagnose through the diagnostics connector. The other thing I like is that the throttle position is part of the default screen, so good for starting (apparently). This sort of information is available in most of the EFIS diagnostic pages but you've got to go searching for it, rather than just having it there in front of you.

Are you going for a start power switch or have you got something else in mind?

I just have the starter switch that KF sent.

I'm certainly not in a position to harp on about the starting of the 912iS because mine is still but a number in an order book. However, I have tested both systems (before I signed anything) and found the timer box to be a much better system. I think the start switch, be it a toggle switch that you have to turn on before and off after start or a spring-loaded switch that you have to hold on during start to be quite clumsy. While I'm pressing the start button and potentially adjusting the throttle, the last thing I want to be doing is trying to hold on a switch and turning off a toggle switch. While it's certainly not beyond the wit of man, it's hardly 21st Century.

With Steve's box there is no complicated wiring or special set ups. It literally replaces the start switch and can hide behind the panel. It can be fitted retrospectively but I'm going to fit it from day one. My set up will involve a key for selecting the battery from Off to Electrics On and then to Ignition. It will be that turn to Ignition that starts the one minute timer in the box and connects the battery to the Rotax fuse box for starting. With the Lane and fuel pumps on I'll just press the start button and will have a spare hand for the throttle (and won't have to remember to turn things off after start).

Anyway, I've probably said more than enough to extoll the virtues of his bit of kit. I think he's selling them for about £120 but don't quote me on that. Yep, more expensive than a switch but a hell of a lot less phaffing around.

Again, I DO NOT have any vested interest in the box other than I thought it's a good idea and I'll be chucking one in my machine.

I use the aluminum tailwheel "spring". It's purty, but not much of a spring. I've heard stories of breakage, and am not surprised, as it's dang stiff. Can't really recommend it for off-road use.
    Guy Buchanan
    San Diego, CA
    Deceased K-IV 1200 / 912uls / 70" Warp 3cs

gebuchanan@cox.net

A remote oil thermostat huh? Once again I bless my lucky stars that Eddie and I have similar projects (Oratex, 912iS, Garmin,...), he is doing such a good job of documenting and discussing his build, and I am plodding a few months in his wake!
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Honestly, Im not inclined to add things anymore. I have spent a crap load of money on what I have and dont regret it at all. I hold the key in the start position until ignition in my cars so I'll do the same in my plane as I always had when actively flying. I dont know what I would do with a free hand during start up anyhow.
    Pretty happy to have Carl to bounce things around with.
    Eddie

Hey Paul,

Thanks for introducing this discussion regarding the offerings from Cambridge - I have been looking at them. I like the Cav 13 BUT .... it is expensive and as a retro fit to my panel I will have trouble finding a spot for it - If I was starting from scratch i would definitely consider it. The $1000 for a Rotax dongle is just a plain and simple rip off from Rotax and should be included in with engine. If I can fit it to my panel I will do so in preference to purchasing the Rotax dongle!
    As for the start module. I have over 300hrs on my 912is sport now and use the kit supplied spring toggle and start button. I remember taking some time to get the ergonomics right for this combo - so that it is really easy to use the first finger for the spring toggle to apply power for the Lane checks and then the thumb to hit the starter - very easy process. I set the throttle prior to this and is doesn't take long to know the right setting. The wiring wasn't very difficult. I don't think I would go with this one as I also have a bit of an aversion to the key starts in general given the stories I have heard about them failing. That said, the key start mechanism does give some added security.
    Another thing I did that works well is to arrange my toggle switches in two rows. I have arranged the top row so that if I work from L to R this is the engine start sequence - makes it really easy.
    By the way, where are you in WA? I am over there often. We are planning another trip next year to the Kimberleys and then down the coast back home - would be good to catch some time.

cheers
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Hi Eddie,

Good thinking -Lot to be said for KISS. I must admit that the appeal of the Kitfox was the relative simplicity (when compared to the panel of my previous IFR Mooney). That said, its amazing what you can get on an Ipad these days! The best thing I did was to build it into the panel!
    cheers
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Hi Ross,

PM inbound so I don't ruin Eddie's thread any more.