Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 20 of 120 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

Eddie, several pages back you were asking about brake line routing at the wheels. I finally remembered to snap a picture of mine. Very similar to yours but a little different, maybe a little less tubing to get caught on brush etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Ok Jim, Thanks for that pic. I wasn't sure having it that tight it might end up kinking but I see it works. I will likely tighten my route up too then.
    Eddie

Can anyone advise on this issue. I may be missing it in the FWF manual but, How is the bottom of the firewall secured. All I see that is attaching the FW is the Five bolts at the front. The firewall at the bottom covers the the front landing gear mount bushings so I am assuming that the gear would secure it but I have a tail dragger. I am not sure how one would put a bolt through those bushings since the wood floor is installed and the top side where a nut would be installed is not really accessible.
    Eddie
    Just noticed, I need to apply my reinforcement tape there at the leading edge of the frame.

Eddie, I had the same concern when I built mine. I ended up just over-bending (a little more than 90 degrees) that piece of the FW that goes on the bottom so it would tend to stay tightly up against the frame without any fasteners to secure it. It has worked well for 4 years now. I know of some others who figured out a way of putting a couple of fasteners in; maybe they will chime in.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks Jim, I think that will work.
    Eddie

Eddie,

I don't think any provisions were ever designed in to fasten the lower panel down. The idea of the previous poster to increase the bend past 90 degrees will help a lot.

Also, notice that the two holes behind the lip in the center of the fuselage have another pair of holes just under the lip where a person could insert bolts with fender washers (or similar fabricated doubler) to clamp up the edge. These 4 holes - two behind and two under the edge are for trigear applications where a bearing block is bolted up on each side - with the trigear, the bearing blocks hold the bottom of the firewall lip tightly. If you have a tailwheel - those holes are not used for anything else and could certainly be used to resolve the clamp up issue of the firewall lip.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Eddie, I did as Dave suggests - not sure if it is all that important but just liked the idea of it being secured.

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

I bonded a ~1/2" thick x 1.5" oak strip to the bottom of the floorboards. I then drilled and installed threaded inserts into the wood and used #8 machine screws to secure the lower firewall flange to the bottom of the plane. Worked great and looks great.
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!

Hmm, I like that. Thanks Mike
    Eddie

EFWD
    The process to secure the lower flap of the firewall is in the FW forward kit instructions. 14 pieces are to be cut from PN 42918.000. 42918.000 profile view is a semi-circle with a tab. These are glued to the 2nd cross tube and the flap is then pop-riveted to these tabs.
    At least that is how my Lycoming FW forward manual describes it.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF