Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 17 of 120 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

Yellow nose and tail are coming. Ive seen others with similar paint schemes already. In fact one of the most recent Kitfoxs that have been posted here for sale has a quite similar scheme. Im not copying exactly but I am doing a similar one as others have. I have apologized for nearly replicating the panel of the SS7 that John and Deborah took to Airventure 2016 but That airplane is awesome and I just want one like it.
    Eddie

Starting look the real deal Eddie. Nice. Pity about the Oratex. Hope you can get additional without too much of a delay.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Though I am months away from doing the work, I happen to be thinking about it since I sanded smooth the lift strut fairings. When I am fitting the fairings, I assume I have to have the lift struts installed since I will be trimming the fairings at the bottom to accommodate the folding of the wings. Is that correct?
    I assume then I will install the fairings then have to remove the wings to remove the struts for paint right?
    Eddie

Technically I guess its best to have the wings and lift struts mounted on the plane in order to properly trim the fairings to allow folding the wings. Trim a little, try folding, trim a little more, try again, etc. However, I used a little more risky method but it worked out fine. I used the photo below of a factory SLSA that showed the trimmed fairing quite well. The fairing is trimmed almost to the steel strut down by the attach bolt. Then it tapers to nothing up at about 30" from the bolt. Don't take my 30" for gospel because I am going by memory. At the time I had an accurate measurement, but it has since been lost. Maybe someone else has an accurate number for the SS7, or I will try to remember to measure it next time I am at the hangar. I did this tapering trim in one swoop and luckily it fit fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I had the same concern, so I asked Judd (with Kitfox) when I was at OSH a couple of years ago. He told me that the dimension he used was 38"- 40" from the center of the bolt hole to the end of the tapered cut. He said that he always did them before mounting on the airplane. That's how I'm doing mine. If anyone can measure how long theirs is from the center of the bolt hole, it would be interesting to hear.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks John, I figured someone would chime in with accurate information.
    Its much easier doing this way. Its a pain to mount the wings and struts for the only purpose of trimming the fairings.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    I had the same concern, so I asked Judd (with Kitfox) when I was at OSH a couple of years ago. He told me that the dimension he used was 38"- 40" from the center of the bolt hole to the end of the tapered cut. He said that he always did them before mounting on the airplane. That's how I'm doing mine. If anyone can measure how long theirs is from the center of the bolt hole, it would be interesting to hear.
    Mine is 34" from center of bolt hole to end of taper. That gives me about 1/4" clearance from the fairing to fuselage side when folded.
    Rotax 912ULS / Whirlwind Prop
    Garmin G3X Touch

Thanks for all the input. I suppose the difference between 34" and 40" is not a big deal since the greater distance would just mean more clearance when folded. It would not even be aesthetically different I guess while in flight position. It would mean at 40" you would just need to fill and sand the larger gap but no big deal. Thanks a bunch. Maybe I'll split the difference. That should ensure Im clear of the fuselage when folded.
    Eddie

From the archives.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow Floog, thanks for that. I am glad I asked.
    Eddie