Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pilots bill of rights

Default Pilots bill of rights

It's on the president's desk and he will have to sign by Friday to fund the FAA. It looks like the gross weight of my S7 just went up to 1500 lb. woo- hoo

Now I just need the 6 seat option to take full advantage of the new rule

(I realize that the FAA has a year to enact the rule)

Default Re: Pilots bill of rights

Hey TahoeTim
    I haven't really followed the ruling. I thought the gross for an SS7 was 1550# anyhow. As an LSA it has to be 1320# for sport pilots to fly. That's what I was abiding by. Are you saying LSA's can gain weight in this ruling?
    Eddie

Some information on the medical reform bill, sitting on the presidents desk as of today.

AOPA

This is a reform to the medical rules for "private pilot" rated airmen. The "light sport" regulations remain unchanged.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeTim View Post
    (I realize that the FAA has a year to enact the rule)
    The one year provision to limit the lenght of time for rulemaking; while it might seems like another delaying tactic, is actually an important part of this legislation to assure that this actually gets done, particularily with the requirement that the legislation takes effect in one year if the rulemaking is not complete anyway.

In my working life, I had significant experience in following legislation and rulemaking at the federal level; and with actual rule making at the state level - and seeing first hand how things get done or become obstructed.

What I can tell you is without the one year limitation, the possibility would exist that parties opposed to the action could do a "plan B" and essentially obstruct completion of the action by finding ways to drag it out.

Our Alphabet soup representatives of the aviation community originally tried the tact of initiating a Citizens Petition to the executive branch (FAA) through simple rule making.....our aviation community representatives decided that would not work; and, wisely went the way of promoting the action through the legislative branch (Congress) with a proposal that could be supported by congress, including the limitation on rulemaking.

I won't identify the federal agency, (other than it was not the FAA) nor the constituiency (was not the aviation community); however, I personally observed an industry sponsored Citizen's Petition proposal via rulemaking, rather than legislation, languish for so long that people involved retired from their jobs, others died of old age most forgot all about it because there was no hard/real deadline via that process.

In another case, I observed legislation that was passed; but the legislation had no "takes affect by a certain date if rulemaking is not done" clause. I don't have to tell you what happened.

So.....In my opinion, I believe two things at the present. 1) What has been done on our behalf is the best process we could hope for; and, 2) Don't count your chickens till they are hatched.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I have followed this very close. There is a provision in this bill that essentially states that a drivers license is allowed for a third class medical even if the FAA doesn't act in a year so the maximum time that it can be delayed is one year.

I realize that light sport is still in play but who would NEED to stay in light sport? Only the serious medical conditions will still be in light sport. It will be a much smaller group. It seems that most hate the biannual medical and the risk that you might not pass your third class medical so we all dropped into light sport.

I, for one, am going to upgrade to PP. I have all the time booked and need a check ride. My medical got in a snarl over paperwork lost at the FAA. I got it cleared and then did not renew it. All I have to do is show my drivers license and take my check ride. I'm looking forward to 1550 lbs in my kitfox and I'm not really worried about the used market by taking it out of light sport legal. I could be wrong but I see the light sport market shrinking.

I want to carry more than one passenger an I want to fly at night.

As a private pilot but flying in the lite sport category does the new bill say if you have not had a 3rd class medical in the past ten years you must have a medical exam once, is this correct?

that is correct, one last expensive and risky exam from an AME (risky if you fail), then you are home free. I see the next step in a few years being no AME ever which would effectively make PP medical requirement the same as the current sport pilot rule.

Well, as a commercial rated pilot and flying to sport pilot limitations I can say that I hope that your right about the Medical requirements for Private pilots dropping to that of the sport. I want to fly at night too! I just like it, not that I need to. Most of my flying is within sport pilot limitations so to pay a medical examiner for a physical is really uneccesary.
    Eddie

It's pretty close with an added form for your regular doctor to complete every 4 years. It doesn't get sent to the FAA and it doesn't ground you immediately if he/she won't sign it. You can get a second opinion, something that the current system lacks.

Don't forget that you guys have to get the heavier duty gear when you move your lsa to 1550
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3