Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 912 water tubes

Default 912 water tubes

Could any tell me about changing the position of the water coolent tubes with my engine in the mounts the lower left tube is in direct line with with the rubber engine mount can the tubes be moved and how do I go about it I did not want to risk damage to them without knowing Thanks

Default Re: 912 water tubes

You need to use heat, like a MAP or propane torch, to loosen the Loc-Tight 243 holding the tube in place, then the tube can be unscrewed out. Do not force it, heat it until it loosens easily and remove it completely. Clean all loc-tight residue off the tube and the socket.

Reapply fresh 243 to the threads and screw the tube into the position it needs to be. Do NOT tighten the tube. Just screw it into the socket until it is in the proper position. The 243 will cure and hold and seal the tube in the position needed.

This also applies to the tubes on the heads as well as the water pump.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I had to exchange a 90* fitting for a 45* fitting at the water pump to clear the engine mount. I put a wooden dowel in the opening of the fitting as close to the size of the opening as I had and it provided gentle leverage without damaging the fitting to loosen it while heating with a propane torch? No leaks afterward.
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 912 ULS
    Whirlwind 3-Blade

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Rotaxowner.com has a video showing the process.
    Apply heat to release the retaining compound, dowel in tube ,careful to keep alignment with threads. Clean threads or use new tube . Apply loctite 648 retaining compound, turn fitting in until it lines up with where you need it. Be careful to not tighten past where you need it to line up. The retaining compound holds it in there not the cheesy aliminum threads. Let it fully cure before use.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

I stand corrected: yes it is Loctite 648, not 243.

The diagram I was looking at was old. 243 will work, but 648 works better.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Thanks for the infro I think I can turn two pipes and get by nicely on the left side, 45,s would be great on the right side I assume they are available from rotax or does anyone know of another good source?