Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 700 foot good flat grass runway, would you land?

Default Re: 700 foot good flat grass runway, would you land?

I have angle of attack in my SS7/rotax 912iS and would not own a plane without it after using AOA. Really increases the safety factor of any approach and is very useful on low speed/short field approachs. I suspect it is part of the answer to the FAA's loss of control issue. A good demonstration is to overshoot the turn to final and increase the bank to compensate. The AOA might read 3 degrees with a normal turn and jump up to 8 or 9 with the
    rapid turn to correct the overshoot. On my system calibration, 15 degrees is
    stall. Best glide and best angle of climb are also indicated.

It IS doable. I just don't want it to be MANDATORY. It makes the stakes higher for failure of any system or judgment. I'm just not that good. or brave, or rich. (parts are expensive, Calcium is slow to heal.

I am building a house and plan to put an airstrip on it that will be about 800ft, at an elevation of 5800ft, I am thinking the 800ft is more than enough, but I don't plan on flying in or out of there when the winds aren't in my favor. So depending on what elevation the strip is I think you will be fine given the conditions are decent. I have a series 5 with a 912 and a high compression zipper big bore.

I operate from some backcountry spots that are about 500ft long, at 6000ft elevation (when I went into one the other day the density alt was at 7500ft, and I had a passenger and full fuel, we used up pretty much all 500ft on takeoff but it is doable). I just know on short spots I have to hit my mark, if I am going to miss then I go around and sometimes you just have to say "not today".

Basically 700ft is totally enough for the Kitfox, even if its at a high elevation, at sea level it should be a walk in the park once you know your airplane and can hit your intended landing spot consistently.

I land at a 1000 foot runway with trees at one end. Luckily for me those trees are pecan trees planted in rows. I have never had to overrun into the grove but I do aim for the hole just in case.

One thing I have heard, and agree, with is that on really short fields with departure obstructions, you need to have a slightly different mindset than we have with the typical GA airport we land at. It should be considered before final and definitely on final. It goes like this:

You will reach a point of no return. Once at that point a go around is not possible and YOU WILL LAND. You may overrun into the brush and lose the plane but your survival is more likely.

That list of considerations posted before are all pertinent. One more:
    If the grass is wet, the brakes will be unbelievably ineffective.
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

oh and one more thing, if you need to stop hit into a tree, but hit the wing not the engine, the wing will soften the blow. I know not what you want to hear, but this WILL save your life.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Charlie,
    What is your flying experience? This has a LOT to do with the decision to T/O or Land from your proposed strip. I had a 1,000' strip in the trees that I used to land an O-235 powered Champ at. My strip was literally tall trees on each end so the 1,000 foot distance was deceiving on landing since one had to drop in over the trees, which ate up quite a bit of that distance. Getting stopped with the nearly worthless brakes on the Champ made for some exciting times when I had a passenger. The KF is a much better performing plane than my Champ was.

This strip is at 1500' elevation. I have since lengthened it to roughly 1800' so I can bring my 172 in. I fly my RANS S7 in/out of it, and this plane could easily operate out of 4-500'. Hopefully kitfoxnick will chime in. I have flown with him as a passenger in his KF IV. If I remember correctly his plane is an 80 HP. I think his strip is 600' (maybe it is 900') and he knows his plane very well. In and out with ease having two aboard the KF.

Guess what I am trying to say, it really comes down to pilot experience and technique.

just remember, fly your airplane, up high, learn what it can do at the lowest airspeed. try to act like you are landing, slow slow slow, then hang on the prop, then cut the power and imagine doing a three point and wait for the stall, that will be your best landing speed. then move it to the ground level, doing touch and goes on hopefully a grass field similar to what you will have and then land a 3 point with a good predictable stall landing. I'm sure stick and rudder will have you do a 3 point stall landing this is what you want.

one more thing, I never look out the front, I don't look at the cowl, I have the round one, doesn't matter. I look at the left wheel and out to the left on a 45. been doing that forever. for one, looking out the front when it comes to a 3 point you see nothing but panel. if you have blocked doors on the lower section, fix it. put in clear. this kind of landing does a bunch, first you are not handicapped because you are trying to line up the cowl to runway, very dangerous. second if you have to land in the sun you can be blinded. 3rd you will now be able to see things on the runway, like birds or another airplane
    I can land any airplane by doing this, something to learn.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Except the Spirit of St. Louis.

OK, I stand corrected. I didn't realize he just put his head out the doors window.

Like wwhunter said I operate out of a 900' long strip at 700' msl. My strip has trees at one end. I've been using it since 2008 and the Kitfox has no problem doing it. 700' with open approaches is very doable. It is amazing how much a corn stalk for an obstacle can add to your landing. I rent some of my neighbors ground off the end of my runway just to keep it from being in corn.
    This type of flying demands energy management and touchdown consistency. Touching down in the first third of 700' runway is much different then touching down in the first third of a 3000' runway. At my place the trees are 600' from the end of my runway with a few of the shorter trees north of the runway centerline. So on short final say 1000' from the threshold I aim for the shorter trees and slow down, (probably in the low 40's I don't know I never look) and as soon as I clear the last tree it's a hard slip as I side step back towards the centerline. I can usually come out of the slip and touch down tail low within the first 100' of runway. This works unless the wind is out of the North. When it's out of the north you have to come out of the side step slip early and then get the other wing down and into the wind.
    I say do it. Having a strip at your house is priceless.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip