Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 700 foot good flat grass runway, would you land?

Default 700 foot good flat grass runway, would you land?

Quick question.

Would you land on a 700 foot grass runway that is flat and you knew the runway was in good shape?

Also, please say your plane model, thanks.

--------------

The reason I am asking is that I am considering buying a kitfox because I have room to make a 700 foot runway in my pasture, but I want to hear from guys who fly this plane to see if that is realistic - for them. Not me.

It would if I could hear more than "it depends on the pilot's skill". I completely agree but, if a lot of guys say "yes" and they have a fairly "typical" model 4-5-6-7, and not just all STI models, that would mean a lot to me. The same, if most of them say "No, not that short". That would also help a ton.

I really appreciate the help, good flying to all.....

Thanks.

Charlie.

Default Re: 700 foot good flat grass runway, would you land?

I land on a 300 ft RC airport here in El Paso , 4oooft elev. DA's around 6000 in a KF 4 80hp rotax 912. no problem. I now fly a skyraider super with a 100hp 912 rotax and land at the same RCairport.

I would in my Kitfox 5 with a Franklin 116 HP Motor.
    But only on my own.
    Reid

Charlie,

Depends.....

I have never operated out of a 700' grass strip; however, I have utilized a 900' ultralight grass strip....after practicing on my home 'port till I was confident I could land AND takeoff well within a conservative limit. That one had 14' corn abutted up against the approach end of the strip with a clear departure end (for the wind that day) so I ended up sacrificing 200 - 250 feet of runway for the sake of staying well clear of the corn. still had 300 feet of runway left after coming to a stop. Attached photo is looking towards the approach end from the departure end - notice the field is in a low spot also. There are days I'd do it and conditions when I would not.

OK - the depends.

1) Obstructions
    2) Density altitude
    3) Aircraft loading (fuel/baggage/passenget)
    4) Wind
    5) Wind Gusts/shear/wind gradient/orographic turbulence potential
    6) Topography of the field
    7) Do I really need to land there

Approach speed has to be managed precisely; and, I am not inclined to slow the aircraft down without a reasonable buffer from stall speed until my wheels are real close to the ground. Less than 1.25 Vso is not all that much of a buffer in a low stall speed aircraft like a kitfox, comparing the buffer speed to the wind gradient and gusts that can be out there.

Experience with our 100HP S7 tells me If the engine ever pooped, I would have no doubt about surviving a landing in a one block long clear space and if it was two blocks long I might even be able to use the airplane again. But that's emergency operations.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

700ft. I hope there is nothing on the approach. that is a bit tight. I can do it. I fly airplanes. I don't like to consider myself a pilot. they only do 10hrs a year. seriously though. If you have a clear path coming in or out. you should not have any problems if you are a good flyer. speed is very important coming in. nothing greater then 50 over the fence. Idle, oh boy here we go. I have my idle set up so it can go all the way down to 500rpm. WHAT! yup. I don't do that on the ground, I manage that real good. But when I am landing and need to slow that plane, yup pull back all the way, sometimes all the way down to touch down. Another thing, an adjustable prop. I have the ivo medium. I will normally run my plane full throttle and adjust the prop for 5200rpm. when I get three miles out I pull the throttle back to 4400rpm and then raise the prop pitch to get 5200. Now it's setup to land. it also allows engine braking when I pull all the way back on my throttle. If there is no obstructions in the way ,you can fly on the prop and real low to the ground all the way to touch down, so technically you have a longer runway in reality.

One more thing, if you let the grass grow a little longer it will slow you down real quick. I find it really doesn't matter to much on take off. Here at felts they put in the dream grass field. the other day it was kind of long. I still got off fairly quick, but landing, wow I was stopped real quick. Now let that same grass get wet, oh man, is it slippery. I actually hit the rudder for a left turn off the grass and the plane went sideways. was fun, but the landing distance was like I was on snow. something else to think about
    Last edited by Slyfox; 07-01-2016 at 02:45 PM.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

My strip is 950 with trees. (Check my YouTube channel)

It's doable but you will need to be on your "A" game and you will NEED an alternate if the wind or sun or whatever isn't helping.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I've seen the utube. I love that also, super slip time, ya baby. also very doable'
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I fly a 7SS and it's very doable.

I have an AOA in the Mangy Fox and am beginning to use it for approaches. I'm still learning the plane and will post some video when I get more comfortable in it.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Nope.
    My model IV 1200 with 80 HP Rotax will do it, but I'm not doing it. I have 1600 feet of grass and I consistently use 800 of that to roll out. I fly over a water obstacle and bushes at the approach end so landing on the fence line is out. I take off from there and am airborn in 400 feet with full tanks solo.
    Landing from touchdown to stop is a 400 foot deal but I eat 100 feet or more on the obstacle at the approach end. Until I got instruction from Paul Leadebrand and John Mcbean, I could NEVER land that short.
    Just sayin.
    If every landing has to be that short, well, I'm no carrier pilot, feel free to be unimpressed with my skill, but I do intend to be quite old when I'm done flying.