Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Kitfox owner

Default Re: New Kitfox owner

Mask off around the rudder and dark blue trim - hit those areas with screaming bright orange. Same colors as the Gulf GT-40's. A good combo on the color wheel & would make you easier to see.

Larry

Larry-

That's a good idea. I'm going to have to seriously consider that option. Thanks.
    Mark Sprague
    914 Series 6 - flying

You're quite welcome!

Larry

Mark, congrats on the purchase. Liked the video also.

10 years of non use concerns me but it sounds as though you are being thorough in inspecting all systems before first flight. You may have read here that Rotax recently recommended replacement of all hoses, fuel, oil, coolant, along with carb boots, motor mounts ect every five years. Many would say that may be over kill but on on aircraft that sat 10 years they should all be examined closely. Carbs cleaned, header tank drained and flushed if left with old fuel that long may be a good idea. Replace your fuel sight gauge tubing on both tanks as you could have the old sight tubes that may get brittle with age and break letting fuel enter the cockpit.
    Check for service bulletins and A.D.s on yor engine that may not have been accomplished. You can join the Rotax Owners group for all the bulletins associated with your engine's serial number.
    Just a few things that come to mind when thinking about your Kitfox.
    Be thorough and check everything from tires and tubes to rodent infestations.
    Be safe and have fun. The 6 with a 914 will be a great performer.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

DesertFox4-

Thanks for the advice! 10 years concerns me also which is why I don't have a deadline on making her fly. I know of the 5 year rubber replacement and I have already replaced all the fuel line including sight gauges with Tygon 4040. I ordered some 17mm coolant hose from Car Builder Solutions in the UK. We'll see how long it takes to get here. Along with the intake tube from Lockwood. The rest of the rubber I'm going "on condition" considering how well the motor ran and that it was stored in a hanger in a cool, dry environment. Motor mounts seem supple and there was VERY little vibration during my short run test. Joining Rotax Owners has helped get me up to speed and I have all the SBs printed out awaiting further checking into. Some of which have already been done. There is a retired Rotax maintenance technician I found that has shown interest in helping me get her flying and he is coming by tomorrow morning to look it over and see what I don't. Thanks for all the consideration as I am a safety guy and won't be taking my wife or anyone else up with me until I feel 110% confident in the airplane. Any other suggestions are highly welcome! Thanks!

-Mark
    Mark Sprague
    914 Series 6 - flying

Just what I hoped I would read Mark.
    You are being diligent.

I like that you have someone familiar with the engine brand to assist if needed. He can help with advice on the daily care and feeding of your engine too once flying.
    Just another thought. Check prop bolt torque also. Not sure what prop is on it. I will go back and look at your photos.

L.E.A.F. , one of our site sponsors out of Wisconsin will also have most everything Rotax. They are great to deal with and quick to ship and much closer than the U.K.
    Keep them in mind for future needs.

Very best of luck Mark. Enjoy your new Kitfox.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

HI Michelle and Mark

Gayle and I are in the middle of our first long trip in our Kitfox and are stuck with bad weather and catching up on Team Kitfox stuff - what a joy to read your posts ad look at the videos!! We know how it feels and enjoyed you sharing it with us - look forward to the first flight pics now!

Enjoy

ross and gayle
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

My rotax friend came by this morning and looked over the 914. Rubber parts still need replacing but all in all he gave me a thumbs up. There are two issues I need to work through. One is oil in the airbox. I think I may need to remove and reseat the ball in the banjo fitting for the oil supply line to the turbo so it will stop leaking when sitting. Hopefully that will solve that problem or the turbo may need to be serviced and the seals replaced.

The second problem arose when we did my first full power run up. Engine runs great at or below current ambient pressure (about 22 in/hg) but does not want to go above that and surges when I try. I think this may be due to leaky carb bowls. When the 3 way solenoid pressurizes the carbs the bowls leak and can't supply enough fuel to the motor. ?? I was planning on rebuilding the carbs but I have found new/unused 914 carbs on eBay that I am considering buying. It seems like a good deal but depending on there age from manufacture they still my need new gaskets. But for $350 for the pair it may be worth the gamble. Any previous experience/advice is welcome. Just keeping you guys up to date.
    Mark Sprague
    914 Series 6 - flying

Ross and Gayle-

Thanks for comments. I'll tell Michele she needs to keep up the videos! I've been following you're X OZ thread and wish you the best with the rest of your trip. Trip of a lifetime. Take care and fly safe!

-Mark
    Mark Sprague
    914 Series 6 - flying

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the ebay carbs. I will be sure to let the community know how I feel about them. Hopefully they will cure my surging issues past ambient pressure.
    Mark Sprague
    914 Series 6 - flying