Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ready for DAR

Default Ready for DAR

I'm just about ready to have a DAR come look over my model IV.

What recommendations would you offer?
    It's my first kit built but am A&P with IA for many years.

Thx,
    Jon
    Kitfox IV 1050, C180. Now I have two backcountry planes! WooHoo!

Default Re: Ready for DAR

I would recommend you visit your local EAA chapter meeting and ask those guys who they recommend and who to avoid. Should be lots of local experience there.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

What jiott said...
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Make sure your paperwork is in order. Have cowlings off and maybe tail fairings for inspection. I can't remember if I had my seat out for inspection. Too long ago since my 4 was inspected. Weight and balance was looked over by my DAR.
    He did look through my photo album of the build. Seems like evey inspection is different. Good luck.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

By paperwork do you mean anything beyond registration and weight and balance?

I have no photographic documentation of the build nor any build logbook. Just a lot of dirty pages in the builders manual. I'm hoping my credentials carry the day.

Jon
    Kitfox IV 1050, C180. Now I have two backcountry planes! WooHoo!

Why did you not keep a photo and written log of the build, this is paramount in the inspection and working with the DAR. Same is true to get the repairman certificate.

Jon,

The assembly manual, which has places for dates & signatures etc. can serve as a build log book. Since you are an A& P with an IA you won't need a repairmans cert to do the annual condition inspection.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

So please correct me here if I am wrong. Just because you have your A&P/IA does not excuse a person from proving you actually built the plane does it? Just a question and clarification for future situations.

I took lots of pictures during my build. My DAR never looked at them. As far as I know, there's no requirement to keep a builders log. I didn't keep one and my DAR didn't ask for one. The number one thing is to have all your paperwork. Here's what I have in my notes, 8050-3 aircraft registration form, 8130-6 application for airworthiness certificate, 8130-12 eligibility statement and airframe and engine logbooks. He also required me to make up a flight test program. There's no official form for this so I made up my own. I had a pretty extensive list with temps, rate of climb, stall speeds, best approach speeds, stuff like that. It's been a while so I may be leaving something out. It's really not that big a deal if you're prepared. I talked to my DAR ahead of time and even faxed some of my paperwork to him ahead of time to be sure I had it all right. A good DAR is going be a great help and he'll do all he can to help you to get everything right. I can't say enough good things about mine. He's done 2 planes for me and annuals too. Good luck, James Thomas

Oh, and one more thing, your weight and balance sheet. James Thomas