Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox III Checklist? Please help - Need one

Default Kitfox III Checklist? Please help - Need one

Hello again, and thanks for all your help with my tailwheel issues posted previously

my student/owner is using a checklist he created, I'm not sure I trust it's completeness, and the source is unknown

plane is a model 3 w/ 912 80hp

I have looked online and can't seem to find anything downloadable

Looking for something brief and one page that I can Laminate covering preflight, pre-takeoff, before landing, post landing emerg prod, v-speeds etc

what are you using? any one have anything I can borrow?

any help would be greatly appreciated
    John

Default Re: Kitfox III Checklist? Please help - Need one

thanks, that's a great pre-flight checklist

what about inflight?

pre-takeoff, before landing, post landing emerg prod, v-speeds etc

Someone may be able to kick that stuff in. You can try the search function on the top bar. It's pretty useful for finding old posts where people asked the same questions. As for V speeds, since it's a homebuilt, during your flight testing you are supposed to figure all that out and put it in your POH. Someone can give you a rough idea but everyones plane is a little different.

For my Kitfox, I have been using a simplified version of the standard CIGAR TIP checklist for pre-takeoff.

Mine is just CIGAR:

C-Controls, Cabin (seatbelts, doors, headsets)
    I-Instruments (all engine, flight, and altimeter)
    G-Gas (quantity, selector/shutoff valve)
    A-Attitude (flaps, trim for T/O)
    R-Runup (mags, final instrument check)

This of course is for a Rotax 912 with no mixture or carb heat, and a fixed pitch prop.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

This discussion for the need for checklists and POH has come up many times before. The factory has a mighty fine POH they supply with all the factory built SLSA's, but it is unavailable to us kit builder's. I understand their fear of liability, etc. But I would like to suggest that they supply to the kit builders a WORD template with all the V speeds and anything else we are supposed to verify ourselves thru testing blanked out for us to fill in. Probably 95% of the rest of the POH would apply directly to all of us with 912 powered planes. This additional documentation would top off one of the best kit builder's manuals out there.

Yes you can and probably should generate your own POH specifics, or better yet find a friend with a SLSA and sneak a peak at his POH.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

John,

For an experimental, there is a requirement that when the plane is tested (called "phase 1") It is required that Vso, Vx and Vy be determined along with the weight used for that determination and that data must be entered in the Aircraft log book at the completion of phase 1 before the aircraft can be moved to phase 2 (meaning go fly it within the issued limitations. I don't believe there is any requirement for testing to determine the values of any of the other V speeds. What this means is normally, the remainder of the V speeds will be design data, not test data; and, I am thinking this should be around and possibly available from the specs in the original build manual - I am sure spomeone will have this for a III

You might check the aircraft logbook and see what the builder/test pilot entered at completion of phase 1

Regarding a POH - each experimental aircraft is not identical so a POH can be pretty much unique to the particular aircraft

Sincerely,
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

yup, looked at it

but I'm looking for an inflight checklist... Run-up, pre-takeoff, before landing, post landing, emergency procedures etc
    Last edited by azsportpilot; 05-09-2016 at 03:07 PM.

Like Jim said each experimental needs its own unique checklists. Once you know the V speeds and performance numbers you can come up with some of the parts of the checklists, but not everything.

A Kitfoxes can have a variety of different engines (air cooled/water cooled, carburetor/fuel injected, magnetos/electronic ignition, alternator/generator, turbocharger, etc.).

Also what about the-
    Fuel system
    Propeller (fixed pitch, ground/air adjustable, 2 or 3 blades)
    Instrument panel & avionics
    Electrical system (how many batteries, busses, power sources, etc.)
    Lighting
    Trim (jack screw, tab, elevator compensating spring)
    VGs
    Autopilot
    Etc.

Each of these could affect the checklists for pre-start, post start, run-up, take off, climb cruise, descent and pre-landing. They can REALLY affect the emergency checklists.

I started developing my checklists with the ones that came in the generic POH that came with my plane. Then I modified them to match my plane/engine/systems. It was a pretty big job.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

yes, i understand that

Just looking for some kind of template so i don't have to start from scratch