Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KF-IV with 582 exhaust question

Default KF-IV with 582 exhaust question

Hi guys, I need help. Again...
    I finally got the overhauled engine installed last weekend. I'm thinking ahead to the exhaust system install. I see LEAF shows either one or two gaskets per exhaust outlet. It's been more than six months sense I took the exhaust off, so I don't remember how many gaskets it had. What's the deal on double gaskets? But I do remember the horrible time I had removing the springs on the exhaust. How in the hell do you get those springs back on?!?!? I'm thinking my old school automotive drum brake pliers might come in real handy? Anyone have some tips for me?
    Thanks,
    Jay

Default Re: KF-IV with 582 exhaust question

Believe it or not, use a shoelace (wider is better) tied in a loop to get the springs undone. You slip the doubled up lace through to the open end of the spring and pull. I usually brace against the motor mount. It's really easy.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Two gaskets may be an attempt to cure a miss alignment issue
    Run a straight edge against the ports they should be true,
    Check the same on your manifold.
    U can true your manifold with a big flat file or get it professionally refaced
    We install the manifold to the barrels before they are torqued up,
    This also works
    Good idea with the shoelace
    Safer than hooks and no chance of marking the spring.
    Less chance of breakage!

On page 22 in the LEAF catalog it shows one exhaust manifold diagram with different part numbers for the different engines. 2 gaskets for each port is for the fan cooled engines. The water cooled engines use one gasket on each exhaust port.

On page 109 you will find the 582 gasket set includes 2 exhaust gaskets...part number 850 633...one for each port.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Quote Originally Posted by t j View Post
    On page 22 in the LEAF catalog it shows one exhaust manifold diagram with different part numbers for the different engines. 2 gaskets for each port is for the fan cooled engines. The water cooled engines use one gasket on each exhaust port.

On page 109 you will find the 582 gasket set includes 2 exhaust gaskets...part number 850 633...one for each port.
    Thanks TJ. I really dread putting the exhaust back on....

Quote Originally Posted by beeryboats View Post
    Thanks TJ. I really dread putting the exhaust back on....
    Why? It's pretty easy.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Because it was a bear to take apart. I was dreading getting that kind of tension back on those springs to put it together again.

I took lots of photos before I took the engine off. One thing I noticed was that the springs were safety wired and coated with RTV. From what I've read the RTV is for the engine mounted as a pusher to keep broken spring pieces from damaging the prop. I'm not sure of the use in the Kitfox unless for dampening. And I'm not sure the safety wiring was done correctly by the builder, does anyone have a drawing of the correct technique?
    Thanks,
    Jay

I am not sure how necessary the safety wire is but I suppose it could help keep the muffler from falling off in the event that a spring broke. I have always used anti seize on the two joints that are held together by springs. When installing the springs I rotate the joint so that two of the hooks are close together, I then install that spring. I then rotate the joint in the opposite direction to bring the opposing hooks close together and install the opposite spring. I've never had a spring break in over 400 hours of flying.

The red RTV prevents vibration and thus reduces wearing of the spring ends. The safety wire is to keep the spring from flying around in the engine compartment should one come loose. The safety wire needs to be loose so the springs can do their job and let the joint flex.

My home made tools work fine. The large factory made one I bought When I first installed my exhaust incorrectly with too much angle in the joint making a couple springs stretch too far. It is correct now as shown in the photo. https://www.denniskirk.com/parts-unl...prd/283491.sku
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

The Safety wire is a must. I had my cowling off yesterday, and I found one of my springs gone. I must have lost it in flight. I ordered a replacement springs to put on. I read the maintenance manual for my plane, it’s an SLSA. The manual said that the springs needed to be safety wire & high heat silicone. In looking at the remaining 3 springs all had been siliconed, but none had been safety wired. I replaced all of them with new springs, Safety wired them, and put on a bead of high heat silicone on all 4. I used a pair of Vise Grip pliers, no hook it worked fine.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas