Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Level Flight Trim

Default Re: Level Flight Trim

Sounds like something is way off!
    If your cg is correct and assuming your wing rigging is also right,the tailplane or flapperons would be next to check.
    Is your stabiliser flat or is there a twist?
    This can be adjusted by the two rod ends(leading edge up to bring the nose down)
    The forward mount may be adjustable , if it is safe to do so you could re drill the bracket?
    After checking for twist ,test fly
    I have found the best position for the flapperons in level flight is to sight against the horizon.
    Anything more than few degree off creates a lot of drag.
    The non symmetrical flapperons are very efficient at bringing the nose down but not so good the other way and would be very noticable
    If your pitch changes significantly with power check your engine thrust line

Thanks Dusty. Definitely some good areas to look at. As soon as I get the brakes back together, I'll be back on the trim thing again. Checking in the builder's manual, I don't find too much on stabilizer alignment.

Thanks again,
    Chuck Gruby
    Petal, Kit Fox III Flying

Chuck - the pic shows the forward HS mount on my old KF3. I assume yours would be the same. Also, the following info from an old KF Newsletter explaining how to set 'zero' and 'max' flap might be useful to you.
    Flap Limit Stop

In the June, 1989 issue of the Newsletter, we showed you how to build a Flap Limit Stop; to find the proper degree of flap for your "stop", first find the neutral flap position as shown on page CF-18 Fig. CF-12, of your Construction Manual and mark that position for the "zero flap" setting. Next, move the control stick all the way to the left (or right) until it stops. While holding the stick in this position, slowly pull the flap handle up until it starts moving the control stick toward the center. When the top of the stick has moved toward the center 1-1/2 inch, that is Max Flap. This step can be completed after you have finished the rigging process on pages CF-17 through CF-19 of the Builders Construction Manual.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

That's exactly what mine is like . When I made the tail mods , tabs were welded on the bottom tube of the vert stab for a upper fairing . Mine is faired now so it's not visible or I would have taken a pic
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa