Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I Need Cabin Heat?

Default Do I Need Cabin Heat?

I live and will fly in Southern CA. If I travel to the cold country, it won't be when temps are cold.
    Minimum ground temperature when I fly will be 32F.
    Do I need the cabin heater? This seems to me to be a potential failure point and if I don't need it, I sure don't want to install it. Of course, I have already purchased it.

Tom Livermore
    SS7 build

Default Re: Do I Need Cabin Heat?

I can't answer your question but I may be interested in it if you decide not to use it. I simply don't fly when it's that cold. Here in Tahoe, the weather is rarely clear and calm when it's that cold.

IMO, the short answer to your question is yes.

To someone who lives in SoCal, 50ยบ could feel quite cold in a small drafty plane. It does to me and I fly in below zero weather, too.

Also think of it as a future selling point. When you are 143 years old and finally want to give up flying, your Kitfox will still be a highly sought after machine, especially if it has a heater.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Tom,

Another point to consider is the fact that as a person ascends into the atmosphere, you lose approximately 3 degrees Farenheit per 1,000 feet of altitude. If you climb 5,000 feet, subtract 15 degrees from whatever it was at the surface, 10,000 feet....subtract 30 degrees F. At 10,000 feet if you start with 32 degrees surface temp.....it's going to be 2 degrees when you get to cruising. Then there is the occasional non-standard lapse rate which can go eiher way.

FWIW - the kitfox heater core is pretty darn rugged..and uncomplicated.

In the end you need to determine what is right for you - I wouldn't be without a heater - just me.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear

I would put in the heater based on your potential conditions and as Dave said they are pretty rugged.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

My model 4 doesn't have a heater. Only 2 days I wished it had and that was flying back from Idaho in December. I could use an air conditioner though.

All kidding aside, my 7 SS will have a heater.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Desertfox, the reason you don't want a heater is to save weight for A.C. We understand how brutal the Summers can be in AZ. You need to add an emotioncon tha has a guy sweating bullets.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I fly a lot here in Oregon when its 40F on the ground and I am very glad I put the heater in.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I vote yes, you do. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it....

If you want to have a bomb proof heater, you can go with an exhaust muff like the certified planes.

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

I have used the heater on occasion , when it is real hot to aid in cooling on long climbs... window vents full open and heater throwing heat lowers the coolant temp fast , as well as cht's . it is a radiator.

I have had many early morning and evening flights where taking the chill off is real nice.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW