Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple of series 7 tri-gear questions.

Default A couple of series 7 tri-gear questions.

Will a series 7 keep the nosewheel on the ground with the wings folded and roughly 400 pounds of weight/ballast in the cockpit?

If it will, is this a viable way to trailer the aircraft by strapping down all three wheels? I would REALLY like to bring home my new airplane while minimizing the possibility of damage to the rear fuselage.

I have used the search function and found nothing with reference to this. Lots of other ideas, tail stands etc.

Default Re: A couple of series 7 tri-gear questions.

Youd be better off putting something under the tail where the tail spring would bolt on in my opinion, adding weight other then what the seat is designed for might not turn out so good
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

How far have you got to go?
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

when I bought my plane I put a deposit on it,..flew out with a friend,..inspected it,..called the bank and wired the remainder,..took 30 minutes for the wire,,then I flew it home
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Gotta go 1200 miles.

I've seen all the suggestions with reference to a support under the aft fuselage. I just figured that a couple of hundred pounds of sandbags in the pilots seats (that are designed to handle that weight) might allow it to sit on its nose gear and elliminate the need for a tail stand ( which is pretty tall on a tri-gear).

Can't/won't fly it home cause it's still in phase 1 and is currently out of Conditional and has sat for awhile. I'd rather get it home where I can go over it with a fine tooth comb and make sure it is good to go before continuing to fly off the hours.

you could set the tail a bit lower with the support..as long as your under 13'6" on the trailer your good,.. going that far I know kitfox offeres a transit kit that supports the wings in fold position and a boot for the tail that the flaperons go up against when folded
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

I think I've seen more tri-gears hauled with the tail down and the nose wheel off the trailer or on some of the converted light boat trailers the nose gear sticks out in mid-air.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

the support under the tail serves 2 purposes one supports vertical load on the tail..2 it supports side load,..just putting weight in the front to keep the tail up isnt enough,..your going to get side wind loads everytime you meet a big truck on the road,..thats allot hanging back behind the mains with the wings folded and it would put allot of pressure on the front wheel if you tied it down,..
    I would take the weight off the nose wheel.. if it has wheel pants on the mains I'd remove them,..then I'd make an A frame to the tail,..strap it down good,..check the weather,,and haul it home..

that's the best way Steve,,a modified boat trailer towing it backwards,,
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Ok, ok.

I'll go tail down, nose off ground. Tail first on support. The aircraft has a transportation kit installed with all the necessary supports, padding, locks, etc.

We have a 7' by 18' tandem axle car hauler available. 45 hour round trip drive.

put the tire pressure on the trailer around 30 lbs,, it will take out allot of the jarring ,,on a flat trailer I would make the tail support at least a couple feet tall to take the wind pressure off the wings,..the lower the tail the more pressure,..and that's negative pressure on the wing,..what are you towing with? if you end up on Route 44 anywhere near Ft Leonard wood ,,I have hangar space if you end up in that area for a night or caught in a storm etc
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL