Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Wing tanks upgraded

Default Wing tanks upgraded

Hey Guys,

My KF IV has a single 13 gallon tank in the right wing. In the left wing is a cargo bin in the most inboard bay.

I want to replace the tank in the right wing with a new ethanol resistant tank and add a single 6 gallon tank in the left wing in the second bay.

Would that work?
    Does anyone else have a similar setup?

I see that kitfoxaircraft lists only the 6 gallon tank for model 1-3.

The cargo bin is really handy for carrying extra oil, paper towels and some basic tools leaving some space for a few other items if needed. It's also really handy as it's not aft of the pilot increasing the rear CG, I'd like to keep the cargo bin.

The previous owner doubled up the header tanks behind the seat so there is already a provision for the second wing tank to feed in on the left side. It's almost like they were thinking this way but then stopped short. I wonder why?
    Kitfox IV - 1200 (1994) #1830
    Rotax 912
    Grove Gear, Wheels, Brakes
    22" Desser Tundra Tires

Default Re: Wing tanks upgraded

The only major obsticle I see ito keeping your luggage locker and adding a tank outboard of this is the wing drag compression/ drag struts.
    The layout for the model 3 varies with tank/ locker options,I assume the 4 is a similar setup
    I believe The alloy tanks are semi structural as is the locker.
    Would the poly tanks offer the same rigidity?
    If you fit a model 3 tank with undercamber would there be room to fabricate
    A structural box as used in some other aircraft
    I hope this helps
    Cheers paul