Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Poly Fiber Solids

Default Re: Poly Fiber Solids

I know there was a post on this forum a couple of years ago about a member or 2 having very good results with roll and tipping. I watched some videos of boats being painted this way. I needed to paint a boat so I decided to try it. I even bought some expensive brushes because that was said to be the key. There must be a secret art to it because it didn't work for me. I decided to spray.

I think it is called Polybrush because you brush on the first coast to make sure you get penetration into the fabric. After that coat you want to use a spray gun of some sort. I used an inexpensive HVLP gun from Harbor Freight and got good results.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Just a quick couple tricks on painting. What ever you use, High Pressure or HVLP, put a couple marbles or ball bearings in the bottom of the container before you button it up. It will act as a 'rattle can'
    The other one is to always have a roll of 1" masking tape on your hip. If you get a run, hang the gun up, take a piece of tape about 6" to 8" long. Make the sign of the 'Omega' with the sticky side towards the paint job. Lay the tape into the run and let it splay out a bit. lift it out slowly. It sill lift the run off. Come back in a minute and give it a couple shots. Wa-la- Run is gone. May leave a bit of a molted finish is you wait to long. Hope this helps-Tom