Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sagging fiberglass seat shell

Default sagging fiberglass seat shell

I have a Kitfox 3 with 4 wings I recently bought in Alaska on floats. I have brought it down to Arizona and have converted it to taildragger. Went out to taxi in prep for test flight and realized the seat shell is sagging far enough to touch control rods. Has anybody else run across this? I thought it was just my fat butt then after disconnecting the seatbelts and removing the seat pad i found I could push down on the fiberglass shell with my hand alone and force it without much pressure to touch the control rods. Any ideas?

Default Re: sagging fiberglass seat shell

Not at all uncommon, but it needs to be rectified immediately as it poses a clear safety issue. A site search will reveal a few different work-a rounds from support straps to blocks, I did the quick and easy fix using a couple pieces of scrap wood.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

I used wood blocks on my SS7 to prevent any sag problems. Just Hysol to hold them on.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

By the way, I changed out that poly header tank to the aluminum one after the photo was taken.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Definetly fix it before flying it again.....there have been "oopses" that have occurred as a result of this problem - no need retry that experiment at this point.

Another fix with extra benefits is the poly tool box buckets that Kitfox sells to retrofit on the bottom of the seats. If you go this way probably want to double check W Kitfox before ordering them for an older model KF.

Our S7 came with the standard seats which we added the buckets to - this prevets the seat from coming down and provides considerable storage space you can then access through a hinged door on the seat bottom under the cushion. All of my carry along tools, service hardware & spare parts fit in the buckets.

The newer seat buckets have tool boxes built into the seat pans (one piece fiberglass) which solves all the problems.

Like Jott - got rid if the junky poly header tank in favor of the aluminum one.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    Last edited by Dave S; 04-06-2015 at 10:29 AM.

Gosh, thanks for the responses! This is great. Heading up to the airport right now to resolve. Thanks again. N505KF 912U

I made straps out of 3 inch webbing to make a sling. Two per seat and clamped to a tube running side to side at bottom & top of seat. Also did fiberglass layups to bottom of seat pan for reinforcing.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

Here are some pictures of the solution on my KF3.
    Ralph
    Livermore, CA

The newer seat buckets have tool boxes built into the seat pans (one piece fiberglass) which solves all the problems.
    My SS7 came with the integral tool boxes. I still installed wooden blocks to prevent any binding possibilities. Safer than sorrier as they say.

Tinturtle- several easy and good fixes for your concerns posted here. Please pick one or more and fly with piece of mind evermore.

P.S. - Welcome to TeamKitfox. Enjoy the forums and your Kitfox.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Ahh, you answered my thoughts DF4. I am about to add some blocks under my seats even though they have the built in boxes. However, (question to all) are there any know cases of the newer seat pans ( with the boxes built in) cracking?

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)