Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Brake Line Routing - Gear to Pedals

Default Brake Line Routing - Gear to Pedals

I am building a SS7, searched the archives, but could not find any pictures of how people are running and mounting the brake lines from the master cylinders to the gear legs. In particular, how are you running and attaching it in the fuselage area prior to exiting the bottom of the fuse to go to the landing gear. There doesn't seem to be any inner structure to adel clamp it to, only exterior structure tubes and I didn't want to cover over an adel clamp.

Pictures would be great! Thanks
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!

Default Re: Brake Line Routing - Gear to Pedals

I used braided hose.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mike,
    I realize you are building a 7 and mine is trying to be a minimalist IV, but I made some fasteners that might work with the lines routed through the console. The lines on mine are run alongside the frame on the pilot side. They are made of wafers cut from 3/4" Delrin rod. Clamped in a vice and drilled with the edge of the hole at the edge of the wafer with a #11 drill to secure the lines, then drilled and countersunk to screw them to the floorboards with #4 wood screws. As drilled, they need to be threaded on the lines, but the hole can be converted to a near U shape by clamping in a vice and cutting with a utility knife or hack saw. This way they can be snapped over the lines. There is little force on the lines so the minimal hardware works. I did the same on my first IV and they worked without incident for nine years and over 900 hours.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Hose routing at the firewall.

Mike,
    There was a recent post showing how someone used some small exit fairings, similiar to what is sometimes used where the rudder cables exit near the tail. I believe the plastic lines exit through a simple hole or grommet underneath those fairings. They can move & bend as necessary when the landing gear flexes. Clamping them further upstream, like Lowell did, seems to be a good idea to me. The lines need to exit the belly in front of the gear, and those little fairings would seem to give some protection & streamlining where they exit, and they could be inline with the fittings in the gear. Just a thought. I'm almost to that point also.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime