Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hanger

Default Hanger

Posting some pics of the new Hanger. This is as far as I going to go for the winter. Time to move into the garage and start working on the Fox.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kurt A

Kitfox II,
    Rotax 912,
    1100 gross
    Fixer Upper Project

Default Re: Hanger

Yep.... we see the "termination dust" on the ground out in front... you got a lot done... looks great!
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

Your "toy box" looks great.

I like the rod on the left. Need to pull her out and post a couple of pictures.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

That is truly awesome! I have a big barn but none of the doors are wide enough to get her out with the wings unfolded. I looked into hiring a company to give me some material specs to build a header and supports, but they were stupid expensive for just a piece of paper. I was also thinking of a "lean to" a bit smaller than your hangar, but once again, I get humbled by span width and load numbers. I would love to have a place I can keep her out of the rain and hail during the summer with the wings out and locked ready to go when I get home from work. I was thinking pre-fab joists about 40' wide...
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    I like the rod on the left. Need to pull her out and post a couple of pictures.
    It's a very hairy ride! 545 CUIN stroker, solid lifter cam, 7 lbs of boost, fuel injected, should be around 850 HP, all steel body 1928 Ford, lots of fun.
    Kurt A

Kitfox II,
    Rotax 912,
    1100 gross
    Fixer Upper Project

I want 850 HP in my Kitfox, then it would be a KickB * * T. Oh sorry I'm a life long gear head!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Thanks for all the Kudo's guy's. Yes it is a 40 ft span on the inside. Beams are not engineered but are built very strong. Pretty much solid 24 inches deep X 6 1/2 thick with laminated 2X10 and OSB glued and screwed together. I have a string stretched across all three beams to keep an eye on things as the snow load comes.
    Kurt A

Kitfox II,
    Rotax 912,
    1100 gross
    Fixer Upper Project

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    I want 850 HP in my Kitfox, then it would be a KickB * * T. Oh sorry I'm a life long gear head!
    I will be turboing mine and fuel injecting it as well. Looking for about 140 HP out of the 80 horse stocker. Should be able to take off like a Harrier.
    Kurt A

Kitfox II,
    Rotax 912,
    1100 gross
    Fixer Upper Project

Kurt,
    Your hangar appears to be about the same dimensions as mine. The major difference in the roof structure is your center beam. It divides the weight of your roof by three rather than my two. Mine has a typical gable roof with the ridge running side to side. Half the roof weight at the span is on the back wall and half is the over the door beam - also laminated wood.

I have a bit of permanent sag that gets worse as the air dries in summer and levels out a bit as the air re-humidifies during winter - not getting worse from year to year.

The door is two tall typical garage doors with a movable center post - seen at the right in the first image. The post is on a track and moves to the right after pulling a pin and rotating it rearward to disconnect the locking pins at the top. This sometimes is a challenge in summer as the post will scrape the floor during the unlatching.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HighWing; 11-21-2014 at 06:31 PM.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel