Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CopperState 2014

Question CopperState 2014

CopperState 2014 has come and gone. It may be remembered as one of the warmest in past memory but that didn't quench the enthusiasm.

John flew down from Homedale,Id Wednesday in 5 hours and 40 minutes with one fuel stop. True airspeed was 130 mph plus and that was with no tail wind or only 3 to 4 mph tailwind at times. So much for any thoughts on the Kitfox not being a viable cross country machine.

Thursday started out rather quietly, as expected, with early arrivals and intermittent visitors at the Kitfox Aircraft booth. Weather was beautiful in the mornings with barley measurable "winds" that hung around the whole day. The Arizona skies were as usual. Intense blue with just a hint that high, extremely scattered cirrus clouds would be allowed to form and then dissolve. Temps would slowly work their way into the mid 90's. The last hurrah of summer trying to influence our behavior before surrendering to fall, then winter, here in the desert southwest.

Friday picked up considerably in aircraft arrivals and people and Saturday was busy. All in all not bad for a small fly in compared to others earlier in the year.

It's the highlight of this event getting to see old friends and meet new Kitfox enthusiasts. Those of us that have built or been flying this great design for sometime now may take for granted the capabilities of our chosen aircraft. Seeing someone new to the Kitfox community slowly discover through asking questions at fly in's or talking with current builders and owners or the fastest way to a purchase decision, a demo flight, discover what this aircraft can do for their aviation enjoyment is always exciting to watch. I got to see it several times this week.

I even saw it happen in reverse order. Tahoe Tim came down to get a demo flight after he put his order in some weeks ago for a 7 Super Sport kit. Tim it was great meeting you and talking Kitfox. Welcome to the Kitfox community. You're going to have the time of your life. Best of luck on your build.

Something happens here at CopperState almost every year. It happened twice this year and that is, having someone walk up to you and say " you took me for my first Kitfox flight 11 years ago or 5 years ago" and finding out they now are building their own Kitfox. That's just rewarding. There's no other word for it.

I tried to take a photo of every Kitfox that arrived but I know I missed at least one, maybe more.

Great seeing the Wilson's from Utah. Hardly recognized SkySteve. He's worked very hard since I flew with him up at Homedale, ID just a couple years back increasing 85DD's useful load. You look great Steve. Congrats on the weight loss. You're the man.

A big thank you to John McBean for his friendship and hospitality. Three days goes by way too quickly. We missed not having Debra with us this year.

My thanks goes out to Phil Laker for letting me fly his sweet 7SS to and from CopperState this year. His is one of the best Kitfox's I've ever flown and a huge reason I'm building again.

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Default Re: CopperState 2014

Thanks Steve for the update and pics.
    Ray
    Kitfox V Lycoming YO-233

Your welcome Ray.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thanks to everyone for the great hospitality. I felt like I had been part of the group forever. I had a great time.

For those of you interested in a kitfox, once you take a ride you will be hooked. I was wearing a UL Power shirt but I am almost talked into a 912 or a 914. The Rotax was much smoother that I expected.

I'll post pictures once my kit arrives on Thanksgiving...

It's the Wilson's from Utah, I recognized SkySteve, and his better half! Not post of your pictures of your sweet honey, and I don't mean your wife.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Paul,
    We didn't bring the other "Sweet Honey" (Kitfox). Just the cute girly Sweet Honey. We rode in the great spam can of the commercial people hauler world.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

I hope no one on the commercial people hauler was running a fever, or coughing, etc. We wouldn't want to catch something that might put you in Quarantine.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Kris and I enjoy Airplane Camping and are always looking for cool things to take with us. Given the limited space and weight restrictions we have accumulated way too many chairs as we seem to always find one that is just a little smaller and a little lighter. The same thing happened at Copperstate. Here is our newest find, and I think it will be our last one (boy, have I said that way too many times!). Weighing in at 1.9 lbs each, these hold 300 lbs of human and fit into a very small space. And, they are actually comfortable. We have camped without chairs and found that a "no go" for us. These break down much like a backpack tent and fit into a small case (included).

Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Steve- I gave those a try at CopperState too. Nice lightweight units and compact yet comfortable.

SpencerAircraft.com was selling them.
    I don't camp so I passed on their nice show special but can see how they would appeal to those that need good camping chairs.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I bought two of these chairs from Spencers at Air Venture this year and love them. Light weight, comfortable for a couple of hours of sitting and taking a nap in. What sold me was the size, I am flying a Rans S-7 while building the Kitfox and these fit the best yet in the baggage compartment in the Rans.