Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: newby intro

Default newby intro

Hello All,

I just joined today due to my increasing intrest in the kitfox. I am currently seeking my privot ticket in the UK (where I live not where I am from ) in a C-152 (about 35hrs. as of writing this so pretty green). I plan to be back in the US early next year with the goal transitioning to a tail wheel and hopefully purchasing a kitfox. My budget is low so I cannot afford the new 7, so I think the IV with a 582 may be a good option. Now for a few questions.

Long shot, anyone of you guys (or gals) in the UK? I am near London and would love an opportunity to go for a flight in a IV.

Second question - What are the thoughts of buying a used IV vs. building a new one? I am very mechanical and know my way around a 2-stroke engine. That said, I have never built an airplane. Lot's of motorcycle and car experience, and 2nd hand knowledge from my old man who use to build and fly ultralights.

Last Question (for now) - does anyone have first hand experience with the IV-582 combo at high density altitudes? I expect to be moving to Colorado (Boulder area) and field elevations are 5K plus.

Default Re: newby intro

Hi Woody,
    Congrats on your progress toward your license. I hope you do get a hop in a Kitfox soon, but it might really spoil you compared to a 152.

If you're mechanically minded, building is very rewarding. It does take time, space and money though. You're almost certain to spend more money building than buying a flyer. Of course, nothing prevents you from buying a flying project and doing updates on it. Anybody can do the work on an experimental, as long as you get an A&P to sign it off.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Welcome to the group and I guess my prejudice will show when I say you have chosen the best of the best. As to your question about building a "new" one or buying. I can agree with Paul, that it will cost more to build than buy but the real question would be if you can find one to build if that became your choice. I have heard from friends trying to buy a Model IV from the factory that it is virtually impossible for some reason. Occasionally you can find a partly built IV out there that you can finish. That is what I did on my present IV. I was on my way to Indiana to pick up a kit when I heard of one in my back yard. They are there, but only occasionally on Barnstormers.

The High density altitude question: Back in the early 2000s one of our flying buddies had a 582 in a IV. He went anywhere the others did. There were six of us and we all flew IVs except for one guy that flew a Rans S-6. We did an annual Idaho back country flight and the 582 was always along. The only things that I remember with him that was different was he was the one flying over the roads - if possible - in our loose formations and at times we would circle above him and coach his climb out of some of the deeper canyons as his climb rate was not as great as those who flew behind the 912. Then, of course, at fueling he always popped the hood to check on the two stroke oil.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Thanks for the info!

Guess I should give the factory a ring to see what the score is on a new IV. I thought, based on the website, they could do it I just may need to wait a while? Anyway, I would like to get flying so maybe a used one would be better.

On the high altitude flying, sounds like its not the performer that the 912 is, but can do the job if you play it safe? As long as I can fly it safely solo and do the occasional passenger for a hop around the pattern or some short sight seeing it would meet my mission. I don't plan trying to be johnny bush pilot, but would like to do some back country flying (after some mountain training!).

Hey Woody, I'm pretty new to this forum as well, but as far as the 582 goes, I'm currently flying a model II with 582 Blue Head and the other guys are right, the climb out with a 582 vs 912 is much less. That being said, I regularly see over 1200fpm+ climb down here near sea level. Also a note, you can expect to pay nearly 10K more for a KF with the 912...so if budget is a consideration....?-) Then of course there is the TBO, parts cost etc.. to consider. I've had my eyes open on Barnstormers for a while before I pulled the trigger on mine, but she's an award winner. They are certainly out there if you look around enough. The only negative I can say with my model II is the rear end does tend to wander a bit in yaw compared to other planes I've owned and flow, but as I undertand it they sorted that out a bit for the IV. I love this little bird, and the wing fold and trailer hitch option is a snap!

Best of luck with your training!

Jay Phelps
    N627C
    KF II/582 BH

Hi Woody, welcome to this gang :-)
    Though I'm not in the UK my IV is only some miles away, situated at EHMZ.
    You're more than welcome to have a flight and try her out a bit?
    Love to see you build and fly one of these birds...
    See you!

I feel very fortunate. I watched barnstormers ALL summer. The ships were too far distant, too expensive, not what I would accept....I was nearly resigned that it wasn't going to happen.

Two and a half weeks ago, BANG! There was my airplane. The sale also included a custom trailer and fresh condition inspection at a reasonable price.

Patience and keep the faith....
    Lou
    KitFox II

Welcome, woody!

If you're interested my Kitfox and a friends Kitfox, both IV models are for sale and 912 powered... PM me.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

HansLab - thanks for the offer! Will let you know if I come across to NL.

Av8r3400 - will not be in a position to buy until I am settled back in the states early next year, but if you still have it I will look you up.

Really appreciate the feedback!