Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Control Lock

Default Control Lock

What are some good ideas for a control lock? Internal or external?

I hangar so haven't had much of a need but want to find the easiest way to secure it.

Default Re: Control Lock

Waged,

So far I have used a rather crude system......Seatbelt over the stick and a nylon lanyard around the rudder tied into the elevator structure to hold the rudder to one of the stops.....I would prefer to have something rather than the seatbelt to tie the stick down so the elevator is not in the full up position. Rudder tie down - no problems.

Been thinking about fabricating a triangular stick holder which could be quick-connected to fasteners at the instrument panel lower cross tube. I think there is some commercial stuff out there; but don't know if any of it fits a KF.

On a related note for outback work - I am just about done with fabricating a tiedown/stake system based on the EAA plans for such. Decided on three 5/16" X 24" long pegs per tiedown loop. If it doesn't storm ugly this weekend, may have some info on how well/easy it works for some weekend camping activity.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS, Warp Drive

I use a bungee cord run from the stick to the crossbars in back of the seat. This keeps the elevator approximately centered and the controls from slamming back and forth in the wind. The flex is just right to avoid any fatigue on the parts, and the cord is so obvious that you can't sit in the seat without removing it. It can't be missed in even an inadequate preflight.

Here is what I made for a rudder lock. I had everything laying around in my goodie bins so it didn't cost me a thing. I'll run out to the hanger tomorrow and get some pics of my elevator/flaperon lock.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike Bentley
    Model IV-1200
    Jabiru 2200A #438
    Rotec Aerosport LCH Heads
    Ellison EFS-2 Throttle Body
    Prince Prop (64x34)
    My SPOT Page

That's pretty clever...I had not thought about using the open fuselage tube which is already an existing hard point.

DS

My solution is similar to the controllock.com unit but different. It mounts to the tube under the forward lip of the seat. Velcro straps secure it to the stick and also to the side when not in use. The Velcro is the double sided that is sold as a tie for cord bundles etc. The inside of the half tubes are padded to prevent chafing on the stick. The Velcro strips that secure the arms to the side fit between the seat lip and the tube, wrapping around everything when at rest.
    Lowell
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lowell,

Very nice and simple design there. Glad you guys brought this up because I will be at Sun N Fun this year. Might try to rig this up in the coming weeks.

Thanks!

Bungee cord connecting control stick to tube under instrument panel. Rudder
    I just make sure the tailwheel is locked. Mine was parked outside in some pretty
    serious storms a couple times, and nothing damaged at all.

Your mileage may vary ...

Regards,
    Jeff

[QUOTE=n85ae;29595]I just make sure the tailwheel is locked. /QUOTE]

Good thinking. I will stop thinking on that one as I also fly a TD. Geowitz mentioned Sun N Fun. There will be a contingent of NWesterners who are planning on it this year. I hope to join them, but we will all be flying the Big Bird.
    Lowell

Quote Originally Posted by n85ae View Post
    I just make sure the tailwheel is locked. Mine was parked outside in some pretty
    serious storms a couple times, and nothing damaged at all.

Your mileage may vary ...

Regards,
    Jeff
    My only concern with this is if the wind picks up the tail. Then the rudder can flop without the tail wheel making contact with the ground. Hmmm, but then again I guess if it lifts the tail the wind is coming from the front of the plane and the rudder will just wind vein. If the wind is coming from the back it would be pushing on the top of the elevator forcing the tail down, thus keeping weight on the tail wheel to secure the rudder. Then I see videos of this. Pretty extreme, but watch the rudder before the plane spins around. Perhaps there's not much you can do in this situation anyways?