Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Building tips and hints

Default Contaminated Syringes

So today I was running some epoxy primer through the insides of my drag/anti-drag tubes using the same animal syringes that I use for Hysol application. I took the syringe from its unopened package and squirted primer into one end of the tube and caught the runoff in a cup at the other end. I immediately noticed that the primer wasn't wetting out the surface very well but didn't think much of it. When I was done with the tubes I filled my paint gun with the runoff so that I could put a coat of primer on the brackets that attach the tubes to the spars. As soon as I began spraying I got the worst case of fisheyes I'd ever seen. My first thought was water in my compressor as I had been running the drill most of the morning. I drained the tank and still no joy. Well, I finally came to my senses and realized that the syringe had some sort of lube in it and that this had contaminated the whole enterprise. I cleaned things up, mixed another batch of primer and this time everything worked just fine. Bottom line is that those syringes need to be CLEANED before using, especially for something as critical as the glue that holds the wings together .
    Last edited by szicree; 04-29-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Default Re: Building tips and hints

True story. about 15 years ago when I was building my kitfox I heard a tip about using an animal doctor's syringe to apply epoxy to the ribs. I looked everywhere around town but couldn't find one. I then had an idea to go to the local veterinarian office to get one. Sure enough they had them on a shelf with the horse doctoring items. They were very expensive...about $25.00. I went home and mixed up a batch of epoxy then opend up my horse syringe and found it was already loaded with horse medicine.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Glue syringes- All Models

We operate an equine training facility. In twenty five years I've never encountered a sealed, unused syringe with any kind of lube on the inside. If you do, I'm sure the FDA wants to know about it.

There are some products that do come preloaded in large syringes but it's pretty obvious. Ivermectrin, Zemectrin. Electrolytic paste, come preloaded in an oral application syringes. But you wouldn't be able to use them in your shop because they are already full with a very sticky paste. They are also about $12 each. Not your typical toss out syringe.

We get new syringes from Tractor Supply. They are about $0.80 each in bulk. They are sealed and sterile and never have lube.

John Pitkin

(John, I think Tom's story was suppose to be one of those strange, true, and funny stories. Having had horses all my life it made me laugh)
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

My syringes are from Exel and are sealed. I believe they are for feeding, not for needles. The manufacturer describes them as non-sterile. Regarding the lube, it was a minute amount, but you could actually see the tiniest little blob on the very tip of the plunger. You can say it ain't so, but I was there and it was.

While on the syringe thing...When I was building my plane I asked my wife (a dental assistant) if she could bring a few home to try with the gluing applications. She brought a straight one with about 3/8 diameter tube and a curved one (I think she called it an irrigation syringe...help me out Lowell ). I fell in love with the irrigation syringe which is a tube of at least 1/2" ID. Usually had to snip off half of the curve to open it up enough, but these worked so well I had her buy a box at cost from the dental supply.
    Dan
    Last edited by DanB; 04-30-2012 at 03:13 PM.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

I buy the irrigaton syringes by the box and use them for epoxy and anything else I need to apply in precise locations and quantities. They are indeed lubricated by what I always supposed was a light silicone oil on the rubber plunger tip. I have never removed the lube as I remove the plunger and fill from the rear and the lube only touches the resin in contact with it and it is impossible to extrude that last bit of whatever. Mostly I use it for small quantities of structural adhesive and so far have had no adhesion issues I am aware of. After this experience it might be wise to at least wipe off the tip, or if planning on using it for a solvent based mix rinsing it off with acetone. I suppose with the primer, the solvent attacked the lubricant and it mixed throughout. The attached photo of a new syringe plunger shows just above the highlight on the left a small puddle of the lube. The other photo shows the syringe for a relative size - about 3/4" OD.
    Lowell
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, it just goes to show you there are lots of products out there and they are not all alike. Some syringes may have some sort of lube in them. If it is a silicone lube then it would definitely cause some fisheye problems with paint or primer. I don't know what it would do with Hysol.

Seems pretty easy to pop open the assembly and use a bit of denatured alcohol on the plunger as a bit of prevention.

JP

Knowing zero about syringes, I went online today and learned that sterile silicone oil is the industry standard lubricant used in medical syringes. A few cutting edge manufacturers use alternatives, but they all use something. I'll never use one for paint again, and I'll wash em before using them for glue.

This is what I use.

These are marketed specifically for dispensing epoxy. They are probably an adaptation of a medical irrigation syringe. The tip can be cut to adjust the size of the "bead."