Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wing covering

Default Re: wing covering

Even after Great advice from you guys I elected to use Martin Clips on my wing ribs. (i've been getting a little lazy).They look OK and very secure on 3 inch spacing X 1/8 in. holes. I'm not recommending this yet and it will be Christmas before the plane is finished. After the holes were drilled, it took about 20 minutes for each side of wing. Only thing it makes a small ridge running down each capstrip.Maybe I can get some pics on here later.

The rivets we used in place of the rib stitching were 1/8 inch large flange aluminum rivets. I have included 3 pictures to help provide details about them.

We reground the end of the drill bit so it didn't splinter the rib when you drilled through it and then the rivet was installed without any washers or other kind of backing on the underside of the rib. The rivet pulled up tight against just the wood on the rin. As I mentioned earlier we made a template to use for the drilling process that insured consistent spacing on the rib flanges as well as consistent spacing from the rib web. We have not ever had a single rivet that had to be reset or that has come loose out of the 1000's of rivets we set on the wings of our 13 KF's.

I have a selction of pictures of the whole rivet use process and if you have other questions or would like to see other pictures then send me a request.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This may be a stupid question but how do I regrind a drill bit so it doesn't splinter the wood rib? What should the drill bit look like when I am done?

I would think like grinding it for the plexy. you take it to the grinder and knock off the outside tip at the start of the drill bit. just takes a little touch on the grinder.

Does anyone have close-ups of how they finished off the fabric around the penetration of the lift strut wing fittings through the fabric?

Also, has anyone used thin "felt" like fabric over the top of the tanks to cushion and prevent the fabric from directly contacting the tanks?

Thanks!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

HI John,

I see there have been no replies to your request. Here is a photo of mine but I know you will do it much nicer!

cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Thanks Ross! I think I've been over-thinking the whole thing.
    You're really coming along, and it all looks real fine. I sure appreciate your reports!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Hey John, sometimes I think I under think the whole thing! Between us may lay the best solution !!!!!!

cheers
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

The rear spar attach is pretty straight forward. You may want to put the bolt and nut in place on the front spar attach fitting to make sure there is clearance to install them. I had to do a little tweaking on the aluminum reinforcement pieces on the front spar to make clearance once the nut was on the bolt.

Rear
    strut attach rear.jpg

Front
    strut attach front.jpg
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Thanks again Ross, and Tom. That's exactly what I was looking for, especially the clearance on the front one. I appreciate you guys taking the time to respond with the pictures!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime