Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Towing anomoly

Default Towing anomoly

Hi gents,

I just completed delivering my Type III to it's new owner. About 10- miles from our destination, a passing car told us that something was flapping on the airplane. Upon investigation, we found the aft horizontal stabilizer attach bolt missing!?!?!. We made a temporary fix and continued on to our destination. The new owner was inspecting his new airplane and discovered the forward elevator pushrod end fitting broken in two!?!?!?

Those two failures shook me to my toes!!! What catastrophic thing to happen if it occurred in flight. I have no idea the circumstances that would cause this kind of failure.

I ordered a new Pushrod and bolt and had it shipped to the new owner.

I'm leaving the KitFox forum and moving on to something a little more standard, Like a Stinson or Pacer. Good luck to all.
    Chuck Gruby
    Petal, Kit Fox III Flying

Default Re: Towing anomoly

Did you have gust locks on the tail feathers? Very important, otherwise they flop around pretty hard. Jim Chuk

Default Re: Towing anomoly

Quote Originally Posted by cgruby View Post

I'm leaving the KitFox forum and moving on to something a little more standard, Like a Stinson or Pacer. Good luck to all.
    Chuck,
    Best wishes to you as well. I, for one, will miss your presence on the forum. The classics are where my heart is.
    Lowell
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel