Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The build has begun

Default Re: The build has begun

I used quart ziplock bags with one of the corners cut off similar to a cake icing piping bag. They are very cheap and disposable. Used denatured alcohol with a latex gloved finger 30 min after the application to smooth out the fillet. I'm so cheap that I cut the fingers off the gloves so I could get 5 uses form each glove.

Much better. I love this website. I've still got to add the stiffeners and I'm convinced that the stabilizer ribs are held securely but can look at the elevator ribs with smile. Using tape and a finger to make the fillets just looks so much more pleasing to the eye. I also took the advice of the manual and used a small drop of super glue to hold ribs in place while I epoxied them. This kept them from sliding as they did on the stabilizer. If I had another stabilizer and ribs on hand, I am quite sure that I would redo it. As far as form, fit, and function, I believe we're good to go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This was the first step I did on my plane too. I would have suggested putting the stiffeners on first as I lived in a very high humidity area and I came back after installing the ribs and they had all warped. Some of them still look a touch funky but I got them fixed up.
    Last edited by Esser; 05-30-2015 at 08:49 AM.

I used the small sandwich size ziplock bags. I generally mixed the goop by putting in one or more plastic teaspoon of each component,(using separate spoons of course) along with micro balloons As far into one of the corners of the bag as I can get it. Then I mix it by squeezing & kneading it till the color is consistent. I then isolate that corner by wrapping a bread bag tie around it. Cut off a small corner,depending,how big a fillet you want, and you're all set. I found that, mixing in Dixie cups or other receptacles. I would mix up way to much.

Dutch
    Last edited by Dutch; 05-30-2015 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Incomplete

now you're on it

I would recommend that when you have something you've never done before search the forum, or ask all of us. We've all more than willing to pass along lessons learned.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Right Paul....

The suggestion of sandwich bags worked terrific. Better than the cartridges. Does the epoxy need to cure 72 hours before I start to varnish the ribs?