Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Tail wheel shimmy

Default Tail wheel shimmy

I have just picked up a tail wheel shimmy (Matco tailwheel) on my SS7. Nothing has been changed, tension on springs is the same as it has always been (no slack in chains), air pressure is the recommended by Matco. Bearings are good and tailwheel is greased and in good shape. Any thoughts or suggestions. Problem really manifest itself upon landing with severe shaking, otherwise no problem.

Dick B

Default Re: Tail wheel shimmy

Dick,
    Controversial in many conversations, but my feelings always revert to the pivot axis with relation to the ground. With this in mind, have you any sag in the tailwheel spring. If it sags it can cause a forward leaning pivot that can result in shimmy - in my experience.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

tighten up the pivot bolt a quarter turn. use has probably loosened up the joint and the dampening it provides.

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    Dick,
    Controversial in many conversations, but my feelings always revert to the pivot axis with relation to the ground. With this in mind, have you any sag in the tailwheel spring. If it sags it can cause a forward leaning pivot that can result in shimmy - in my experience.

+2 on checking for sag in the spring. A likely cause.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I had the same Matco problem that would shimmy on a three point landing when the tail is weighted during roll out. It would disappear by a little forward stick. I took a little more slack out of the springs and tightened the pivot nut which had loosened slightly during the first 50 hours. I used marker paint to watch if it loosens any more.
    So far I haven't had any more shimmy. The one issue I still have is the amount of breakout force that's required to unlock the tail wheel. I need a little speed and stomp on a brake to swivel the aircraft. Possibly because the tail is so light or it'll just take time to wear in. Not sure yet.
    Bob
    S-7 Super Sport, Flying
    Phoenix,AZ

Not controversial with me, it's all about the angle. Fix that and you can run
    loose chains. I agree with Lowell on this.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    Dick,