Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: elt question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default elt question

I have an Ameri- King AK-450 ELT which came with my model 111 project I see there has been an AD issued on this model as well as the newer 451 what would be my best option as far as getting an safe operational elt? Take this one to a shop and have it gone over, or being rather old scrap it and lay out the money for a new one I do not have an antenna for this one and before spending money on one I would like to hear your opinions about it.Thanks Greg

Default Re: elt question

I am not familiar with those models, but the first thing would be to determine if they use the old 121.5 frequency or the new 406. If they are the old frequency I would deep six them as not worth repair. The most popular one right now seems to be the ACK E-04. It is the new 406, probably the most reasonable in price, and works reliably with no issues. Kitfox will sell it and they also use it in their SLSA's. Comes with antenna and ability to tie into your GPS.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I went with an Artex 345. It supports 121.5 and 406. Comes with a whip antenna that can be hidden in the aft fuselage and a mount. Has a GPS input to support 406 mode. Mid $500 range.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Greg,

Ameri King was gigged for using unapproved parts in their manufactured equipment. The company is out of buisiness last I heard and their stuff is totally orphaned. It is also a bunch of junk that may or may not work. I had an AK encoded which died a young death on me before the UPN (unapproved parts notification) came out so I replaced it with another....and you don't have to guess what happened to that - of course the UPN was out by then.

Check it out for yourself:

https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/safety/...13NM460018.pdf

AK was first found out on their ELTs (G switches in particular), but the UPN investigation found the encoders and pretty much anything they made was not complying with their approvals.

Personally if I had an AK encoder - I'd put it out on the 200 yard rifle range and test out my marksmanship skills.

Trust my hide to that junk?...no way
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

L.E.A.F. has the ACK 406 complete kit for $475.00.

https://www.leadingedgeairfoils.com/

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I also have the Ameri-King which will get replaced with a 406 unit (no rush). Given the 2020 ADS-B mandate coming I plan on using a Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B out which can also supply GPS info for the ACK ELT. I already have the GDL 39 for ADS-B in.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin Farmer View Post
    I have an Ameri- King AK-450 ELT which came with my model 111 project I see there has been an AD issued on this model as well as the newer 451 what would be my best option as far as getting an safe operational elt? Take this one to a shop and have it gone over, or being rather old scrap it and lay out the money for a new one I do not have an antenna for this one and before spending money on one I would like to hear your opinions about it.Thanks Greg
    You can not repair the AmeriKing 450 and 451's. they must be continuously inspected and tested per the AD starting no later than October 24, 2018. If they fail, they must be replaced. They are 121 only so I would just replace it anyway - 121 is useless unless being ground tracked from real close.

The ACK E-04 can use the same remote and and wiring as the AmeriKing and has a harness that meets the new TSO 126b (not hook and loop) and includes an antenna.

Tha Kannad retrofit is about $400 more, has an integral backup 406 antenna, does not include an external antenna and uses the older hook and loop mounting.

The NTSB wanted the new TSO 126b to require replacement of all hook and loop fastening on all existing and new ELT installations. The FAA TSO though allows hook and loop on "existing" elts and only requires a better mounting for new elt designs (not to be confused with new elt installations) occuring since the TSO 126b effective date. Kind of defeated the purpose as the manufacturers can still make, sell and you can install the hook and loop type!

Also, if you replace an old 121 elt with a new 121/406 elt without replacing the antenna - you are assuming the old antenna will operate correctly on 406. Maybe/maybe not - that is why ACK sells their unit with the antenna and requires it to be used.

Just my take on it all, Greg

3. REQUIREMENTS. New models of 406 MHz ELTs identified and manufactured on or after the effective date of this TSO must meet the MPS qualification and documentation requirements in RTCA Inc. document, RTCA/DO-204A, Minimum Operational Performance Standards (MOPS) for 406 MHz Emergency Locator Transmitters (ELTs), dated December 6, 2007, sections 2.2 and 2.4. The 406 MHz ELT must include a 121.5 MHz homing beacon. We also require that you obtain a Cospas-Sarsat type approval certificate before applying for this TSO. Additionally, the use of hook and loop fasteners is not an acceptable means of attachment in complying with the Crash Safety requirements of section 2.2.5 of RTCA/DO-204A for automatic fixed (AF) and automatic portable (AP) ELTs.

g. Deviations. We have provisions for using alternate or equivalent means of compliance to the criteria in the MPS of this TSO. If you invoke these provisions, you must show that your equipment maintains an equivalent level of safety. Apply for a deviation under the provision of 14 CFR § 21.618.

This brings up the story a friend - former Model IV owner - told me two days ago. A year or so ago, he sold a pristine 1950-ish C-150 to a guy. Recently, due for an annual, the new owner takes it to an AI for the inspection. The AI checks every log book entry from day 1 and discovers that in 1955 it had a nose gear collapse repair that was documented in the log book, but never officially signed off. Now, this new AI is insisting that the nose gear repair be redone so the correct entry can be placed in the log book - $12,000. A law-suit was filed against my friend to cover the cost of this inspection (repair). This airplane has had regular Annual Inspections for 60 years and a professional nit-picker is insisting that every one of those inspections was defective and "HE" needs to make it right.
    Last edited by HighWing; 06-25-2018 at 12:49 PM.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    g. Deviations. We have provisions for using alternate or equivalent means of compliance to the criteria in the MPS of this TSO. If you invoke these provisions, you must show that your equipment maintains an equivalent level of safety. Apply for a deviation under the provision of 14 CFR § 21.618.
    Lowell, They don't need a deviation and I don't believe they applied for one as the new TSO only applies to new models designed and submitted after the effective date of the TSO. So they can continue to make and sell hook and loop mountings on all their previously TSO'd ELT's.

However Kannad did issue a vague service bulletin: https://www.mcmurdogroup.com/wp-cont...mechanisms.pdf

It requires firmly strapping and pulling on the unit to see if it will come out and visual inspection for wear and tear. Whoopie!

My point was, the NTSB wanted all hook and loop mounts to be eliminated and still could push for that to happen as they didn't get it in the current 126b - as it only has to be implemented on NEW elt designs submited for TSO after 11/26/12. Part of the reason some elt manufacturers aren't improving and redesigning their products since 2012.

Why install a $400 more expensive product when the concensus (stated in the TSO and by the NTSB) states: the use of hook and loop fasteners is not an acceptable means of attachment.

BTW, a dedicated 121 tuned external antenna will not optimally (if at all, depending on the antenna) transmit a 406 signal.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    The AI checks every log book entry from day 1 and discovers that in 1955 it had a nose gear collapse repair that was documented in the log book, but never officially signed off. Now, this new AI is insisting that the nose gear repair be redone so the correct entry can be placed in the log book - $12,000.

An interesting business model. I wonder how long the AI can keep it up. Think anyone will risk taking their 40 year old aircraft to them?
    Guy Buchanan
    San Diego, CA
    Deceased K-IV 1200 / 912uls / 70" Warp 3cs

gebuchanan@cox.net