Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Voltage regulator/rectifier on 582

Default Re: Voltage regulator/rectifier on 582

Quote Originally Posted by catnipp View Post
    Answer: Unknown without a data sheet. I think this particular one is unlikely to be your solution. You need to know how many amps it can deliver. A good match for the lighting coil would be somewhere around 13-15 amps.

If you want to hit the easy button on this, just get the Key West unit, install and go flying.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

ok, i have a kw, it getswa rm, i was told they kill staters lol so i put the dam rotax one in and it got hot, so hot i couldnt touch it and is heatsinked! so today the kw is going back in! it has always worked fine. i just always second guess my self. I am running it on my 447. so yea 16A is enough. i have a 12ah lifepo battery, small but enough for the starter and i run fuel gage, strobe and radio, the rest is just charge to the battery, it shows 14.6V so its all working. I was concerned about the shunt action of this type of reg. but it seems that is the way the stater is run. I have it in my head it should float, or just go open when it cuts off the need from the source. Just makes heat and drag, seems to be a waste to me. but if thats how they are designed to work its going back in as is. the kw gets warm to touch but not HOT. thanks AMie
    P.S. the old guys have talked me out of hanging the 503 on the kf lite too. this 447 is strong free air and performs well, i thought i wanted duel ignition but they tell me it will just create other problems to hang the 503 which is a drop in setup for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r_Sed View Post
    Answer: Unknown without a data sheet. I think this particular one is unlikely to be your solution. You need to know how many amps it can deliver. A good match for the lighting coil would be somewhere around 13-15 amps.

If you want to hit the easy button on this, just get the Key West unit, install and go flying.

Not sure how the 503 would create any new problems other than a slightly more HP, dual ignition is nice and will give a slightly higher rpm and a couple more hp over non dual ig. The KW regulator says it works even without a resistor, but if you are not running anything off it, it doesn't like it much because it has to disipate the excess electricity itself and it does it in heat. If you are not running much off of it you might put a resistor on the output side to stabilize the charge and give it as much air as possible.

I put a 10 ohm 15W ceramic resistor between the line at my main switch so it has a 1 amp draw so even when the batt is full this way the reg should not have to work so hard and deal with heat. it got just warm today when i flew some. always some crap! I will need to re work the free air scoop for the 503, the rest is pretty much drop in. dont need more power but redundancy is what i am looking for. after some tweaking it ran the best it has ever the past two times I went up. cruise speed is 65-67 at 5050 rpm!! egt 1000 and cht 290-300! even wide open egt didnt go past 1025! only goes up like it should on decent but never past 1150! seems to be dialed in just right.

Quote Originally Posted by tx_swordguy View Post
    Not sure how the 503 would create any new problems other than a slightly more HP, dual ignition is nice and will give a slightly higher rpm and a couple more hp over non dual ig. The KW regulator says it works even without a resistor, but if you are not running anything off it, it doesn't like it much because it has to disipate the excess electricity itself and it does it in heat. If you are not running much off of it you might put a resistor on the output side to stabilize the charge and give it as much air as possible.

I haven't heard of the KeyWest killing stators. I'm not sure why that would be. I believe the design is superior to the original Rotax unit, but it's still a shunt regulator and will waste power for no useful purpose.

When I did have the Rotax regulator it was mounted on the cabin side of the firewall on a big heatsink with thermal compound and all.

Do you know what your normal running current draw is? I tried to minimize mine by installing LED lighting which helped a great deal. Also, the motorcycle type MOSFET regulator I'm using burns less power and regulates better than the original Rotax without the load resistor.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

I'll resurrect this thread to tell you my woes. I run a 503 with Rotax finned regulator. It charged nice but lots of radio noise. All I did was relocate it and shield some wires. Now its dead. OK, first flight I forgot to install the fuse in the line to the battery, Was wowed by the lack of radio noise, but obviously no charging. Reinstalled fuse, still no charging.

"Instructions said if it goes out you can hook up the other yellow wire and go again."

Thanks for that comment Tom, I have long since lost the instructions.
    Jeff Dill
    Sold da Fo & bought a Bo
    Kept Dad's Kitfox II/503 flying