Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Main Fuel shutoff mod

Default Main Fuel shutoff mod

I have the funky main shut off with the rubber hoses crimped into the valve from the early 90's. Does someone have a simple solution to replacing this? Could you share a pic of what you have done? Is there a fuel valve part number which you could recommend for this modification. Much thanks for solution ideas.

Default Re: Main Fuel shutoff mod

your correct , they are funky . i used a ball valve and ran hard lines in and out . used an fittings . mounted it with clamps to the tube running forward of the flap handle , i don't have a console . i used the cup that the funky valve was supposed to mount in and made a butterfly handle to fit in the cup . no pics that i know of but could get some if needed
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

took a few pic today
    Attached Images Attached Images
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Thanks for the help everyone...

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm facing the same issue. Would this barbed fuel shutoff from Aircraft Spruce be a good replacement for the original 90's vintage valve? We will likely be using the "dash tank" option, so the 90 degree valve is probably ideal.

Also, does it matter which direction fuel flows through a valve like this?

Thanks!

The specs say it is for 1/4" ID hose. I'm guessing this is too small for your plane. You need to match the existing size of you fuel lines so it doesn't cause a reduction in flow.

What size fuel lines do you currently have? A picture and saying what Kitfox you have helps.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

600 WOG (water, oil, gas) ball valve from the hardware store. I think it's 1/4". The inside diameter is larger than the valve that came with my Kit. Only modification needed was to cut the handle down a bit so it will fit in the fuel valve bracket
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Soaring VA, The valve you show looks like what I have used in 4 different Avids, and 1 Kitfox. Engines were 532, 582 Rotax, and 2200 Jabiru with 1/4" fuel lines. Never noticed not having enough fuel flow. Come to think of it, that's also what I used in the ultralights before the Avids. You should do a fuel flow test on your fuel system before first flight to see how much fuel flow you can get. I believe 150% of maximum fuel burn is recommended. JImChuk

Wow, thanks everyone for all of the help. The model is Kitfox 4-1200 and here is what we have now. T J, I really like the WOG valve and the location you've used. Can you bend that solid fuel line? Do you have to worry about 90 degree fittings cutting flow? The flow test is a great idea.

Thanks

The fuel line is what came with the kit. It's 5/16 aluminum. Kitfox part number 41910. Solid line is measured outside diameter. All the bends were made with just my hands.

The location of the valve bracket is by the book (Builders manual). It is secured by the throttle linkage.

Each fitting and bend reduces the fuel flow a little so keep bends, fittings fuel filters, etc. to only what is required.

I checked the valve and it is 1/4 inch. The fuel flow from the panel tank to the gascolator at bottom of the firewall is 14.3 gallons per hour nose high.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder