Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question Phase one limitations

Talking Re: Question Phase one limitations

Dave... I'm definitely not trying to skirt around anything. Honesty and integrity are admirable traits all should posses . I wasn't sure about what phase 1 was all about . The plane I'm looking to purchase is on B.S. and I was just looking for the cheapest most effective , efficient way to get my license, buy a plane, and to be able to do my annuals and not have it cost me an arm and a leg and 2 years of this that and the other thing. I live off grid , have no phone only internet, and don't live anywhere close to a cfi (Fairbanks Alaska may be the closest). Thanks again to everybody for the info you've provided. It's steering my in the right direction . I think.

Default Re: Question Phase one limitations

How many hours are supposed to be on the aircraft now? If it was me, I would call the FAA FISDO in your area and ask them what they think. After all, their answers are what really matters. Don't be afraid to talk to the FAA. I have found that they are decent people that want to help if they can. I'm sure there are some jerks who want to throw their weight around, but I haven't ran into any like that. Just be straight forward with them (no BS) and they will help you if they can. I once bought an Avid with only 25 hrs flown off on it. Because I was moving it from that area to mine, I had to get a new location from the FAA to fly off the remaining hours of phase 1 flight test time. The FAA was very helpful with this and it wasn't a problem. JImChuk

Gota agree with Jim here - the FAA may very well be your best friend on this anticipated purchase.

When an experimental aircraft receives its AW certificate, the facts of the AW inspection and the original limitations for the aircraft are permanently filed by the FAA as well as the identity of the original builder and history of ownership - I believe these will be in Oklahoma City unless this has changed - in any case, your local FAA District offices can facilitate procurement of this information. As Jim says - these guys really are here to help and my experience with the FAA is like Jim's.

It may or may not be a red flag when logs get lost - they can get lost in one of two general ways: 1) Accidentally (the dog ate it, misplaced in an estate); or, 2) Intentionally (to get rid of the aircraft's history). Having said that - lack of aircraft logs can be a benign situation where you may be able to piece together enough info from the FAA, contacts with previous owner/builder, etc.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I hope I have not come across as negative and I did not mean to imply your were trying to skirt the rules. It sounds like you are just trying to learn here.

Just so you are aware before you take the plunge, you mention doing your own annuals. You are allowed to do any work you want on an experimental aircraft. You may only perform the yearly condition inspection if you hold the repairman's certificate for that specific N number airplane. You can get the repairman's certificate if you built it. If not, you may be able to find a friendly A&P to sign off on an annual that you performed and save some cash that way.

I also agree that the FAA may be your friend here.

Good luck with it.
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

I thought the same thing. Emailed my local FSDO in Fairbanks about 3 weeks ago about a taylorcraft I was wanting to purchase, gave the guy the N# and asked him 3 or 4 questions and haven't heard a peep from him. That's probably one reason I'm on here. Extremely frustrating at times up here with communications sometimes. Btw , the man's name was Clark Miller I contacted with the faa who hasn't responded back to me and that was on March 3rd.... maybe he's on vacation.

I would think a phone call to the FSDO would be better than an email. JImChuk

I agree with the call vs email. Different FSDO here but I called when we removed slats and changed to ground adjustable prop on Zenith 750. I had to leave a message but later that day a guy returned my call. I had a plan: 5 hours back into phase I to test flight characteristics at cg limits. FAA said sounded good to him took down my tail number and away we went.
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)