Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where can I get stainless prop tape

Default Where can I get stainless prop tape

I did a quick search and didn't see it. I called Murle the other day and he said he likes and uses IVO stainless prop tape, Where can I get this?
    Thanks Gary

Default Re: Where can I get stainless prop tape

Try a call to IVO to see who is a distributor for them in your area.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Smile Re: Where can I get stainless prop tape

I would suggest calling Ron at IVO Propellers. I would also like to comment on the super customer service I received at IVO. I recently purchased an IVO IFA for my Vixen and when it arrived there was a slight dent in the spinner. I advised Ron and also mentioned that the brushes seemed to be wearing quite rapidly. He suggested the first set wears faster until the hub "carbons up'.
    Just today I received a replacement spinner and 2 sets of brushes-- All at no charge with mail directly to Canada. Now that is what I call customer service. I think in this day and age service like that should be rewarded. I hope I am not out of line by mentioning it here.
    Cheers
    Don (New IVO supporter).

I know you can get it from CPS (California Power Systems). DO NOT order the bulk tape they have on the roll as it is NOT SS tape, but Aluminum tape you can buy at the local hardware store. They do have the IVO SS tape though.

I have found it by the roll at JC Whitney also.

I have also had excellent service from Ron at IVO. I hassled the devil out of him about replacing some broken prop bolts when I bought my Speedster. He was very patient and looked over all my closeup photos. He quickly sent me new bolts and washers.
    Bob & Debbie
    KF IV N1670B
    Campbellsburg, Kentucky

this is what I did many years ago. I took the stainless tape and threw it as far as I could, into the garbage really. I went to powerfin and purchased their polyurethane tape they put on their props. have hundreds of hours with this stuff, great stuff. look them up and buy it. I now have the medium IVO prop and put this tape on back when I bought it, still looks like I just put it on. works great. have over 400hrs on it.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
    this is what I did many years ago. I took the stainless tape and threw it as far as I could, into the garbage really...
    I love that stuff too, Steve. I started using it in 1993 on my wood prop. No one I knew seemed to know about it or use it for that purpose at the time. So for 23 years I've had it on the leading edge of my props. I've found it to conform very nicely to straight or curved leading edges when installed properly, and I've been able to remove it with the use of a heat gun, without harming the finish. I specifically use 3M 8672, 1" wide. I believe it's .008" thick. 1 roll gave me a lifetime supply for several propellers. I've used it for a few other things too... it's tough stuff.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

For the record, as long as you are not operating as a seaplane you can use the 3m / clear poly tape on your props leading edge.

But you most definitely need stainless tape if you fly off water. I attempted one water flight without stainless tape and essentially destroyed 3 blades in 10 minutes, all caused by water erosion.

Quote Originally Posted by av8rps View Post
    For the record, as long as you are not operating as a seaplane you can use the 3m / clear poly tape on your props leading edge.

But you most definitely need stainless tape if you fly off water...

Did you attempt it with that specific plastic tape on you prop? I don't doubt your statement, but I have found the tape to be very good in rain. I'm sure there's a big difference between rain and treating your prop like it was a boat propeller.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I agree. Also I would like to add, my tape is black.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop