Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: external alternator

Smile external alternator

has anyone installed the external alternator on a series 7 kitfox..

questions are fitting in standard cowling, does it need modified to fit..

and does oil lines need moved, oh yea 912uls rotax

Default Re: external alternator

I have the belt driven 40A external alt installed. Very easy install and straight forward as the regulator is built in. It fits under the standard smooth cowl for sure. Not sure about a round cowl but I am guessing there is even more room.

No oil lines or any thing needed to be moved for me. I'll try to find a picture.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Jim,

I installed the aux alternator in our early S7, before many were even considering this installation. At the time, I couldn't find anyone who knew if it would fit under the cowl or not, but it fit quite nicely. Worth mentioning that the engine is the 912ULS so it has carburetors and standard cowl.

A few photos attached of the mockup with the upper / lower cowl located which made it clear there was adequate room under the cowl.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave S; 05-21-2018 at 05:23 PM.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

How many amps does that provide? Looks like a nice install.

Clark

Clark,

According to the documentation with the aux alternator kit, continuous output is 40 Amps.

At the time the plane was assembled, I needed more juice than what the Rotax alternator could provide. Took it a step further and and wired it up for two separate and complete systems with a cross tie. The instructions provide several options for wiring the systems.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Thanks I appreciate all the responses
    I have the stndard cowl and really would love it if it just went in without a fight.

Thanks Dave!

Clark

Talking Re: external alternator

Just a follow up... Installed the 40 amp external alternator today.. It went fairly well , just a few pointers for those about to undertake this task.. remove prop, extension, nose cone plate..and now%$#$% the blind nuts for the prop bolts.. get a bolt of the correct size and thread it into the blind nut. gently tap the head of the bolt you just installed and the blind nut will slowly back out.. install the prop pulley first , then mount the alternator brackets.. I had to change the oil hose and fitting on that side as well. local auto parts shop had the 90 I needed... I am not a mechanic nor do I want to be but sometimes we just have to do our own work feel free to contact me with questions and I will do what I can to advise... again not a A&P just a builder... oh yea had to change the oil cooler bolt as well went to a very narrow headed bolt and that cleared ok..