Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NO Boost pump in IV with Rotax 582

Default NO Boost pump in IV with Rotax 582

I have a IV with a Rotax 582 installed per the early installation manual. There is no longer any instruction for the 582 installation from Kitfox. My build is totally gravity feed with NO ELECTRIC BOOST PUMP, just the impulse pump.

John McBean now says that "technically, there should be a boost pump".

What say you all?
    Mandatory? Necessary? Smart? Don't fly without it?

Jon
    Kitfox IV 1050, C180. Now I have two backcountry planes! WooHoo!

Default Re: NO Boost pump in IV with Rotax 582

My decision was to install one. I also have a fuel pressure gauge to monitor how the Mikuni is performing. I haven't needed the aux pump yet, but it was cheap insurance.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

It would be wise to install an electric pump for the small increase in weight.
    On when below 1500ft agl will give peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r_Sed View Post
    My decision was to install one. I also have a fuel pressure gauge to monitor how the Mikuni is performing. I haven't needed the aux pump yet, but it was cheap insurance.
    Paul,
    Is yours a Facet 2-4 psi pump in series? Where in the circuit did you put it?
    Does it allow for gravity feed when switched off?

Thx

Mis understanding.. We have the 582 installation instructions..However, it does not have the instructions for fuel flow test.

Quote Originally Posted by jonstark View Post
    I have a IV with a Rotax 582 installed per the early installation manual. There is no longer any instruction for the 582 installation from Kitfox. Jon
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

I use a Facet fuel pump inline on both my 582 and 912 Kitfox's with pressure gauges.
    Before start up I momentarily turn on the pump to make sure it is working.
    I have had a fuel pump failure on the 912 and was glad to have the Facet backup.
    It is nice to have a low fuel pressure warning like the Grand Rapids EIS.
    Always flow test your system.

I ran 500 hours behind a 582 with pulse pump and no backup. My backup was gravity feed. I also rebuilt the pump every year. They're pretty simple and pretty bulletproof.
    Guy Buchanan
    San Diego, CA
    Deceased K-IV 1200 / 912uls / 70" Warp 3cs

gebuchanan@cox.net

I typed this before, and didn't post it. Avid aircraft determined through testing that the 582 would remain running if the pulse fuel pump quit if you had 1/4" ram air tubes pointing forward from your wing tanks. On my Avid MK IV with a Jabiru engine, I have no impulse pump, just an electric facet fuel pump that is only used for take off and full throttle purposes. I do have the ram air tubes as well. A couple of times I have taken off and forgot to turn the electric fuel pump on. Never noticed any difference in how the engine ran, although the few times it happened, I noticed my mistake and turned the pump on, once when I was probably 100' high. All that being said, you should for sure do a fuel flow test at the carbs to determine how much flow you get with just gravity feed. If memory is correct, you should have at least 1 1/2 times maximum fuel burn. I never had a second fuel pump on my other 3 Avids or 1 Kitfox either. Maybe I was just fortunate. Interesting note, I did have the Jabiru supplied mechanical fuel pump over power the float valve, and that caused the engine to flood when pulled back to idle. That caused one of my dead stick landings. That was what caused me to go to the electric backup and gravity feed. Not exactly your question though I guess. JImChuk

Thanks for the replies guys!

Do your pump installations have a hi-flow check valve in parallel with the pump? Fuel won’t get thru a Facet unless it’s running will it? Or is there a “bypassing” or full flow type Facet?

Jon

I don't know about other model facet pumps, but mine is in the one line coming from the header tank behind the seat. Gravity feed flows through it no problem. JImChuk