Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Issue with new fuel tank

Default Issue with new fuel tank

Hi everyone, I searched the forum but didn't find anything like this. I bought new fuel tanks last year and recently did a fit check with the wings and found that one of the tanks doesn't sit flat on the spars. It appears that it is warped considerably. Placed on the spars and down proper in the front the rear corner near the fuselage side sticks up about 3/8".

I really don't like the idea of building up the ribs on that side high enough to clear the tanks when I put on fabric. I'd welcome any ideas to get it to fit nicely.

By the way, my old un-used tanks fit great with out any problems, I only bought the new ones because of the with auto fuel resin issue.

Thanks, Rick

Default Re: Issue with new fuel tank

Rick, that happened to me back in the olden days. It took some effort, but they did accept a trade for a.properly fitting tank.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Hey Scott, might be best to call the factory about this. It could be a missed quality control issue, if not, they will guide you how to proceed.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Which tank? Left or right?

It's the pilot side tank (left side).

Hey Rick, I can walk you through fitting that tank. Give me a call at the factory tomorrow or PM me your number and I'll call you tomorrow.

Brandon

One more thought on my tank experience. The problem with my poorly fitting tank was they miss-located the filler neck on the bad tank. Essentially, they sent two right wing tanks with the filler neck mounted inboard on one. Have you tried the warped tank on the same side as the good fitting one?
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Hi Lowell, when I switch the new tank to the other side it does fit much better and I think you are correct, it seems like it was molded for the other side. I'll talk to Brandon at Kitfox today and see if we can figure something out. Thanks for this information.
    Last edited by scottr; 06-15-2018 at 08:15 AM.

Hi Lowell, just for curiosity sake I swapped places with both of the new tanks and the right tank has the same issue when it’s on the wrong side. Then I tried it with the old tanks, both fit with the same issue when set in the wrong side. So, I think this confirms that the tank isn't molded correctly.