Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reaming

Default Re: Reaming

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Maybe I don't understand your problem Flyboy, but the bearing is supposed to rotate fairly freely in the pressed-in bushing. That is your rotation surface. The bearing is NOT supposed to rotate on the bolt. You will notice that the bearing is slightly longer than the bushing; this is so that when you clamp the bearing in the elevator tabs with the bolt, it will NOT rotate with respect to the bolt. Maybe you already know all this, but FYI just in case.

Jim, step 16 says “Press the bearing into the aft center elevator hinge”. There isn’t any pressing to be done. If the wind blows, the bearing will blow out the other side.

I havent gotten to the pressing the bushing PN 11500 into PN 93021 yet. I was just checking the fit of the bearing/elevator hinge and it seemed wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Maybe I don't understand your problem Flyboy, but the bearing is supposed to rotate fairly freely in the pressed-in bushing. That is your rotation surface. The bearing is NOT supposed to rotate on the bolt. You will notice that the bearing is slightly longer than the bushing; this is so that when you clamp the bearing in the elevator tabs with the bolt, it will NOT rotate with respect to the bolt. Maybe you already know all this, but FYI just in case.
    Jim, the bushing is longer than the bearing, and is supposed to go inside the bearing. The best I can figure is that the bearing is locked in the hinge mount, and that the bushing/bearing surface is where the friction occurs. Is this correct?

the loc tite is securing your brass bushing into the steel after you clean out the powder coat. If I were to do this step again I would apply the loc tite into the far side of the steel "tab" and to the near side of the bushing if that makes sense. The idea is that as you get the bushing pressed halfway in, none of the loc tite is engaged. This stuff set up on me very quickly and I nearly didn't get the thing in before it all froze up. Maybe my tolerances were too close. Once the loc tite is engaged between the two surface you will need to work quickly to get the part into place before the loc tite sets up. It seems in your situation, you have so much clearance all this would be mute. I can't imagine why your bushing has so much clearance while I had to shave mine down to get it in and as I said I nearly failed at getting it placed before the loc tite set up. This is why the heating and cooling explanation in previous posts would have been sweet to know about. The bearing will turn nicely within the bushing when you all done. I believe I had to ream the inside of the bushing in order for the bearing to fit nicely.

Possibly bearing and bushing is being used in reverse I suppose. Im not looking at the book but I call the Brass part that's glued in the Bushing and the steel part that spins within it the bearing. Man, I hope I haven't made this totally confusing.

Eddie
    Last edited by efwd; 06-14-2018 at 07:19 AM.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Eddy,
    I was using incorrect terminology for the parts in the early posts. I am sitting here taking material off of the bushings (11500) so they will fit into the bearings. The issue I am concerned about is the bearing to hinge clearances. Because of the clearance between the parts, I am not sure all bearings will be in alignment with each other when I get around to installing the elevator on the stabilizer.

If I could find a long enough piece of 3/16 rod, I would press the bushings into the bearings, then slide the bearing/bushing combo onto the rod. Then I would slide the whole assembly into the elevator hinges with the bearings not in the hinge holes. Then loctite them one at a time and slide the bearing along the rod into the hinge hole to set up. That way the axis of each bushing is in alignment with the others.
    Last edited by Flyboy66; 06-14-2018 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post

Possibly bearing and bushing is being used in reverse I suppose. Im not looking at the book but I call the Brass part that's glued in the Bushing and the steel part that spins within it the bearing. Man, I hope I haven't made this totally confusing.

Eddie
    I think am slowly coming up to speed, and things are making sense. I misunderstood what people were heating and cooling. The brass sleeve that is glued into the hinge is the Bearing. The insert into the bearing is the bushing and often has to be sanded down to fit snugly. I was on the phone yesterday with DW and thought I understood what he was saying, but then became confused by the forum (I had the bearing bushing thing backwards in my mind). But now I am on track.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy66 View Post
    Sorry, not writing clearly. I was in a hurry while typing. Horizontal Tail Assembly page 11. Part number 93021 goes into the elevator hinge mount. It goes into hinge mount and has air space around it except for where it settles to the bottom of the hinge mount. I misread the words on the diagram under “detail A” while typing. I am using the correct part (93021) into the hinge mount. Is the part in the photo supposed to have free play between it and the powder coated tube it is in?

Does the liquid lock go on outside of 93021, to lock it in the hinge mount?
    It’s very clear to me what you are saying, Flyboy66. As I believe you’ve figured out, the Loctite product is used just as you describe here. I’m not sure if the bronze “bearing” that you have is slightly undersized (unlikely), or if the hinge mount in question is slightly oversize on the ID... I say “oversize”, compared to what seems to be normally encountered by most of us during our builds. You could measure the OD of the bronze piece & compare it to the others you have. It seems most likely that the hole in the hinge mount is probably the culprit. The Loctite cylindrical retaining compound will probably still cure and retain the bronze piece. I’m not sure what the maximum allowable clearance is. You’re idea to install all of the bearings at the same time, aligned with a long rod, sounds good in theory, but I think it probably isn’t necessary. If that is the only real loose one, you could save it for last and use a rod help align it with a couple of the others while the retaining compound cures. Everything can be lined up real perfectly, and then I believe that when the surfaces are covered and the elevator is brought into position, that there will probably be a small amount of misalignment that occurs anyway. At least that is what others have experienced.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

John,

All 7 holes shed little to nothing when reamed, and all 7 bearings are loose and can be moved out of alignment with the others in the same row easily. I was able to wrap the bearing with 1.5 turns of copy paper, and it still had play in it. I don’t know how to estimate thousandths of an inch by eye. When I get home, I can dig into my reloading stuff and get some calipers on these things.

I would talk to J.McB. It does seem like something is not right on either the bronze bearing or the hinge mount. All the rest of us had at least a light press fit there. I used a C-clamp to push mine in.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS