Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Mgl autopilot

Default Mgl autopilot

Does anyone run the autopilot with the MGL? Trying to decide if I should put servos in on the new build I am hopefully starting soon.

Default Re: Mgl autopilot

I look forward to seeing if this thread progresses. I've already bought the MGL servos to go with my Explorer Lite but they're still in their box and the aircraft doesn't arrive until August

Eurofox do a fantastic bracket for fixing the servos to their aircraft but I've only seen the Dynon servos mounted in it so far. That, however, is a minor problem and I hope we'll see some comments on actual MGL installations.

Have you figured out how to mount the servos? Is there a factory location? I thought that I read they are welding mounting plates from the factory now? I am thinking of having them do that but wondering if the same location works for all different servos?

Our kits arrive May but I am trying to figure out everything in advance, or at least as much as I can. I think I will buy the ELT to mount and possibly comm antenna and wires also.

I'm afraid I'm an interloper as I'll be building a Eurofox but there are similarities and I enjoy reading the ideas and great designs in this very active forum. Eurofox do weld little lugs onto the frame and then you can bolt the servo bracket to those lugs. I only discovered this option recently and I am very pleased about it as I thought I would be making plates etc. This bit of kit means the servos are mounted in the right place and very securely

I cannot say I have seen factory plates for the Kitfox and I have been reading the posts on autopilots and servos. All the examples I've seen so far have been guys with Dynon or Garmin but they all do the same thing, in the same way, so I'm quite sure it would be a fairly easy thing to 'replicate' (that's my nice way of saying 'blatantly steal their idea'). Hopefully for you the factory do produce servo plates and the mounting lugs but I'm sure it's just a matter of a quick phone call.

Here's what Eurofox are doing
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kitfox confirmed they do sell the bracket for the garmin servos. I called MGL and they said if it works for the garmin it will work for mgl servos. Garmin servos are cheaper so I asked mgl if I could use garmin servo because they are a lot cheaper, nut he said they are locked out and can’t get into them.

Can someone post a pic of how these servos connect to the control rods? I'm assuming this is for pitch and roll only, correct?