Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Fit of steel elevator bushings in bronze bearings

Default Re: Fit of steel elevator bushings in bronze bearings

Just as a thought. You might want to delay putting lubricant on any surface that will be near a surface to be painted later. Lubricate those moving parts after paint. If a part will not be near painted surfaces, lubricate in assembly. Otherwise lubricate during final assembly.

Just a thought and recommendation to think about.

Ralph

A good point, thanks.
    Michael
    Cherokee 180; Kitfox S7SS in progress

Sorry about my faulty recollection; age may have something to do with it. Its been 7 years since I built mine, and I keep my manual out at the hangar so its not very handy when I am on this forum.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Not a problem at all. Keep em coming Jim. Having been flying your KF for 7 years and your still contributing to this forum like you do....On behalf of most everyone Im sure, Thank You for helping all of us who follow. That goes for all you guys who do the same.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Well said!
    Michael
    Cherokee 180; Kitfox S7SS in progress

I screwed up one bearing install trying to press in unmodified but didn't quite get it to fully seat. I had heard about "chucking" bearings into drill press or hand drill to sand but bearings would fit into my drill. Took a nap one afternoon and came up with the idea shown below using a screw and couple of nuts to hold bearing securing in hand drill. Then used a new, shard hand file to hold onto bearing during rotation. Worked great on bronze bearings. Steel bushing was too large for bronze bearing hole so did same thing to reduce diameter of steel bushings. Got to point, after doing several, that only took me about 10 minutes of filing and polishing with wet 400grit sand paper to reduce and properly fit even the steel bushings. Just be careful not to over reduce.. I did use an accurate gauge to measure diameter as I filed to minimize having to constantly disassemble and reinstall into drill.
    Hope this saves future builders a lot of time and frustration. Parts for bearing mod.jpgBearing locked in drill.jpgFiling bearing.jpg
    Robert Henderson
    El Paso, Tx
    SS7 Tri gear N87KF
    EP914Ti, Airmaster, Garmin G3x, GNX375

Sometimes the work goes south on ya. Happened to me as well. My approach to this task was similar to yours. Appreciate the post!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades