Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What props are available for the 582?

Default Re: What props are available for the 582?

If I remember the story properly, in summary:

The two as opposed to three blades was recommended by Ivo due to their belief of a poor harmonic situation happening from the 3:1 gearbox in conjunction with the two cylinder engine. The ultralight would need three blades to efficiently use the hp of the engine, where the medium can handle it with only two.

Therefore Ivo says use a two blade medium, with a 582 and a 3:1 gearbox.

(Not to mention it costs more... )
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Jay
    I've sent you a PM
    Lou
    KitFox II

Quote Originally Posted by beeryboats View Post
    And why was it so rough?
    The IVO Medium is a fairly high inertia prop (in comparison to the IVO Ultralight or GSC). The two stroke motors are pretty torquey when they fire. The combination of the two, especially at low RPM, can cause strong vibration.

In theory, the IVO Medium should be fine, but I could not find the magic combination to get it to idle smoothly. The carb float valves would unseat and I'd get gas pouring out of the overflows onto the exhaust. Installing the clutch resolved the issue and got me in the air.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Wow, that is a pretty good shake to overflow the carb bowls.

I've been reading most of the old posts on Warp Drive and IVO props. A lot about stainless steel tape strips coming off the IVO props. I guess you spend the extra $ and buy the prop with the metal leading edges. I think I've decided on the IVO just because of the one turn twists all three blades at the same time. Now to decided between the three blade ultralight or the two blade medium. I like the idea of a shorter three blade as I fly off grass at home, and who knows where I may land...
    Jay

Here is a little video of mine from a Kitfox III with 582 and 68" 3 blade GSC with 18 degree pitch by round about 5800 rpm static.

For info, my IAS is circa 10 mph less than a PA18 and Kitfox IV which fly byside.

Gruß

Olaf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD12Y_Fc2LE

Great video!!! I need to go back and watch the rest you've made. I have not read through my log books in months, but I seem to remember the pitch on the prop is 17 degrees. The builder took great notes on performance at different settings. Due to its age and reputation, I'm moving on to a composite prop.

I am building a new (old) kitfox 2, and this thread looked like the best thread to ask this question. I have a gsc 3 blade to install on a 582 C box. I have the bolts required for attaching the prop to the c box. My question is, I've read that 8M studs are needed (between bolts). It looks like these studs add to the shear strength of the prop to c box installation (to spin the prop). Where do I get these studs? Thanks.

I run a 3 blade IVO 70" in-flight adj on my kitfox IV with a 582 grayhead and a C 3:1 gear box. I have used this prop since 1995. The only issue I have is needing to replace the motor that adjust the pitch every now and then.
    Pieter
    Kitox IV 1050
    582 70" IVO IFA

Try Lockwood Aviation in Florida.

Dick B