Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 1991 Kitfox 4 Insight Needed

Default 1991 Kitfox 4 Insight Needed

I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight about the 1991 Kitfox airplanes. I found a Kitfox 4 for $14,000 but its only about 90% complete. Which means I would have to go though getting it cleared as Air Worthy after finishing it.

Does this price seem right for a plane of this era and not having been completed yet?

Any information you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: 1991 Kitfox 4 Insight Needed

I'll fire this out there, a lot would depend on the quality of the build, the engine it has, the current shape of the plane, ect, ect. That kit with no firewall forward probably cost that much in 1991 dollars. If you could buy a Kitfox 4 kit today, it would probably cost 20,000 or more, without engine, prop, instruments, ect, ect. Sometimes these uncompleted kits sell for less cause the builder has passed away, and eventually the family gets rid of it for less than it's really worth. If you want an airplane, you are going to spend money, no questions about it. (actually a lot of money ;-) If it was a nice flying airplane with a 582, it may bring as high as $20,000. Maybe $30,000 with a 912. I see I still didn't really answer your question. It comes down to this. Is it worth it to you? You could wait for a better deal that may never come along as well. JImChuk

To continue with more of an answer to your question.
    Which means I would have to go though getting it cleared as Air Worthy after finishing it.
    If the aircraft is uncompleted and has never been issued an Airworthiness Certificate. Then, when completed, you will need to have it inspected by either a Designated Airworthiness Representative (DAR) or the FAA to have a Special Airworthiness Certificate with Operating Limitations issued (in US, other countries have different requirements).
    As to if it is a fair price. Depends on how complete the kit is. Are the manuals included. The covering products (except for fabric) will probably be too old to be used. Kitfox Aircraft still can provide some support for older models (parts and materials come with a cost).
    Ralph

I would think that Kitfox would be able to provide anything you might need for the IV. They still advertise the kit as a special order.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

When you say 90% complete, do you mean all the parts are there or it is 90% assembled/close to flying?

I think a big factor would be when the work was done, how well it was done, and how it has all been stored.

Full disclosure I have not built one yet. I have spent alot of time around old cars though and if things do not get used, they have big problems. If an engine has been sitting for years unused, you may need to go through it, especially things like seals.

I am not saying skip it, just be ready for the need to work out bugs.

Good luck!!

Thank you for all your replies. Great insight so far.

The plane is assembled and painted. It needs to be plumbed and wiring finished. The dash panel is wired but the pictures of it are not very good so I don't know what all is included for instruments.

The guy claims to have lots of pictures of the process of it being built. However, I do not know if he has any manuals, build instructions, etc.

It had a registered tail number that has since expired. It was given in 1998. I assume that was so it could get painted on the tail during the painting process.

The engine is a Rotax 582. It has never been started and he recommended that someone goes through it due to this.

I have never owned a plane but I definitely think a Kitfox is going to fit my flying needs. This is why I thought it was a good idea to ask this community if there was anything I should be aware of going ahead with this decision. Thank you again for all the responses.

When I built my model IV, (first flight in 1995) I had $25,000 in it. Simple panel, .com radio, transponder w/ mode c. Rotax 582. Just assisted a friend selling a widows model 3 with a never run 582. I would call it 75-80% complete for around $8,000. Just a couple points of reference.
    JimS

I have always been curious about costs. I built two Model IVs. The first purchased from the factory in 1993 and the second purchased from a previous builder a 1992 manufactured IV. The fascinating thing about the costs - I paid $10,000 for the kit plus some add ons, but minus firewall forward in 1993 and about $9000 for the 1992 kit purchased in 2009. My guess is that it only had about 150 hours build time with firewall forward for a 582.

Regarding the IV you are looking at, I would say go for it as it will be a real bargain in the long run especially if your name is the name on the Airworthiness Certificate. And if your physical size is not an issue, the Model IV will provide every ounce of performance and enjoyment that you are looking for.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

just to make sure that you are aware there are three variations of the model IV.
    the early models were grossed at 1050, the classics grossed at 1200 and there is a speedster at 1200
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Couple of points to consider...
    1. You’ll have to prove it was “amateur built”.
    2. If you want the repairmans certificate I believe you’ll have to assert that YOU built at least 51%.
    3. If there are any 1991 radios they may well be junk.
    4. Build quality, workmanship, correctness.
    5. Old plexiglass, non-alcohol resistant fuel tank epoxy, may have only the impulse pump and needs elect, #5 diameter fuel lines, single fuel outlet tank so large amount of unusable fuel, what kind of header tank, single leaf tail spring, dry rotted rubber components, etc...

In my opinion knowing or expecting all the above but finding it to be well built the price seems about right.

Jon
    Kitfox IV 1050, C180. Now I have two backcountry planes! WooHoo!