Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

View Poll Results: KITFOX should make a 4 seater

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 24.69%
  • No

49 60.49%
  • Kinda interested....keep me updated!

12 14.81%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 Seater KITFOX

Default 4 Seater KITFOX

Not sure if this is blasphemy but airplanes arent cheap and a 4 seater kitfox would fit the bill better. Wasnt sure if there was anything in the works or its just a “look elsewhere” situation...love the kitfox and as we all know airplanes are nothing but compromises but it would be cool to know if kitfox was thinking about one and if there was any interest in it.

Thoughts?

Default Re: 4 Seater KITFOX

I think it moves away from the whole ideology of the KitFox. It would be like having a 4 place Cub. It's just not a Cub anymore it's a completely different plane.

What a 4 place KF is, is a Hi-performance 2000+ gross plane. You're essentially wanting a Maule or 180/5.

I'll agree with the move to the model 5-7 but if they do make a 4 place KF it will just be one in name nothing else.

Agree with the above. You can't take a Kitfox (or really any other 2-place light airplane) and just add a couple seats. The Glasair Sportsman came the closest, but the additional seats are barely usable for full size people, and that airplane is easily a quarter million.

Also, you give up a lot to go to 4 seats. There are very few experimentals with 4 seats, and they don't come cheap. You can go certified, but anything with 4 seats that is certified and reasonably affordable is yawn-inducing. I have a family of 4, but we seldom all fly together. I'm not giving up much by not having those two extra seats. If I really need them, I'll go rent a 172.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

The Bearhawk 4 Place is a pretty sweet plane if you need a 4 seater. That would probably be the top of my list if I wanted a 4 seater plane.

Ditto the Bearhawk comment. There are lots of people out there who think the Kitfox 5-7 are a departure from Kitfox's roots.

I would rather see Kitfox stay lean and keep coming out with innovative products that are bolt on for existing owners such as the STi and shock gear. Be great at one thing than good at many things.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Someone was just saying on one of the other threads how at way higher weights their Kifox turns into a slug or words to that effect. The wing area is not real high on a Kifox. It didn't need to be when the plane was real light. Double the weight, and that same wing will perform way different. Maybe go from very good to very bad. Just my thoughts on it. A completely up sized Kifox would be something else of course. Just my two cents worth. JImChuk

My thought was 2 small seats for my children. Like a bolt in option instead of using the rear for baggage. Not even sure if theres enough room back there.

Definitely not enough room for that. There may be room for a rear-facing single child seat, but it would be a trick getting in and out. This really just isn't the plane for that. That's Sportsman territory.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Task View Post
    Not sure if this is blasphemy but airplanes arent cheap and a 4 seater kitfox would fit the bill better. Wasnt sure if there was anything in the works or its just a “look elsewhere” situation...love the kitfox and as we all know airplanes are nothing but compromises but it would be cool to know if kitfox was thinking about one and if there was any interest in it.

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Task View Post
    My thought was 2 small seats for my children. Like a bolt in option instead of using the rear for baggage. Not even sure if theres enough room back there.
    My thoughts are you don't want a KitFox, you want a Bearhawk 4 place, and that is fine. Bearhawks are awesome planes. I bet if you polled all the people with 1-2 kid families in here, every single one of them has thought about that plane for their family. I know I have. Heck, it isn't even that much more money than a KitFox either.

If you want to bring the kids, get a plane that can do it right. I hope to have both planes parked in my hangar one day.

The Bearhawk is a nice 4 place airplane. It is large compared to the Kitfox as I am in the painting stages of one right now. One thing for sure is its got a lot of room. I am helping a friend with this as I am very happy with my Kitfox, but then again I do not need 4 seats so not wanting the extra expense of build price, insurance price, and the longer build time. Just my two cents.