Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boot cowl/glareshield attatchment.

Default Boot cowl/glareshield attatchment.

Ok so I’m getting ready to attatch my boot cowl on permanently. Looking at the instructions, it says to bolt the glare shield to the wind shield but if I do that and the boot cowl is permanently installed, I won’t get my glareshield out again since the boot cowl blocks the access to the bolts.

What are you all doing here?

Looks like some of the factory planes have bolts on the boot cowl attaching it to the windshield...

I’m thinking maybe drilling through the boot cowl, wind shield and glare shield and putting rivnuts in the glare shield?

My upholstery isn’t ready for a while yet so I want to make sure I can remove the glare shield easily to put on the upholstery as well as make behind the panel maintenance easier.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Default Re: Boot cowl/glareshield attatchment.

Josh,
    First, I am not building a 7 and am posting this as an outsider, but.... When I was helping my neighbor finish his Lancair IV, and it came time to lay on my back with my head on the rudder pedals and legs on the seats while accessing the under the panel items, I shook my head and turned that part of the project over to the other guy. The IV doesn't have a boot cowl typically, but I recently saw one that did - Guy Buchannan - and keeping with the access idea (I think) he made the boot cowl removable. I liked his modification very much as the boot cowl definitely makes some projects a bit easier, but again....
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Josh, on the SS7 you should have boot cowl against glass against an aluminum tab that has a bend in it. A bolt and nut hold that sandwich together. When the glare shield slides forward, the edge of it slides up into the bent aluminum tab that is bent down to receive the lip of the glareshield. Sorry I don't have the manual but you should find those tabs and the instructions on their assembly.
    Once my boot cowl is attached to the windshield I can still easily remove the glareshield. I believe there are four or five tabs to be made. I had to make cut outs on the glare shield leading edge that allowed the tabs to ride into it. Hope that makes sense.
    Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Hey Lowell. I thought about making it removable. I’m just wondering about sealing it from the engine compartment from a safety point of view and how to effectivelyseal water out of the windshield if it’s removable
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Eddie, I think that makes sense. I’ll takr a closer look at the instructions. I must have missed something.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Josh, as Eddie mentioned, the manual tells you how to attach the glare shield to the windscreen and boot cowl. I’ve made my boot cowl removable by attaching anchor nuts to the bent tangs referred to in the manual and to the wind shield at the two outermost locations. The engine cowl to boot cowl joint will be similar. You could also use rivnuts. I’ve rivetted my tangs to the glare shield .... the anchor nuts on the inner 3 tangs are attached to the bent part of the tang. I found that I could only use tangs at the centre 3 locations because the glare shield profile didn’t match the profile of the wind shield. So, In that case, I’m bonding the anchor nuts to the wind shield for the two outermost locations, as I said above. At the moment I haven’t figured out what type of seal I’ll be using between the boot cowl and wind shield, but it’ll most likely be a neoprene “P” seal similar to what’s used around the door frame, but larger. I’m planning on using a simple flat neoprene seal between the boot cowl and engine cowl joint.
    David
    SS7 Builder

John M. suggested using a wax to coat the underside of the boot cowl fiberglass and then use something of your choice ( I Plan on using High temp gasket in a tube ) and sealing the firewall off. Wax is used so that if you want to remove the boot cowl the gasket will come off easily. Reapply and reinstall. As for the window side Ill do the same but with a weather tight sealer for window installs on homes. They carry this stuff at home depot with all the P seals etc. It seems similar to plumbers puddy but denser.
    Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Eddie, is that window blazing putty you are talking about. I’m going to mull over the permenant vs removable over the next couple days.

I know on the factory LSAs they use the same stuff as what you use to attach the wing tanks if I’m not mistaken
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I used adhesive backed 1/16 thick felt about 3/4 wide. Seals well and does not stick to the windshield.

Interesting Mr. Bill. Im not sure my build is always within 1/16 inch tolerances. I believe I notice that I have some weaving of the fiberglass there.
    No Josh that's not it. I had to youtube that though. I wish I knew what it was, it was white. AS&S carries a black product as well. Anyhow, in the end, I will talk to John M before I pull the trigger. The more I thought about putting something unknown on that Acrylic?! You know what Loc Tite does. I don't want to be the one to find out a product is a bad match. I believe the aircraft Stick an Rudder fly's had a white sealant. Probably the same stuff as the Fuel tank Caulk.
    Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X