Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What KitFox fits me!

Default Re: What KitFox fits me!

The early Avids and Kitfoxes had very small cabins, so I could understand you not being comfortable in any of those. I think you could fit in a Model 4 Kitfox if you really wanted to make that work. But on long trips you could find it uncomfortable. I'm 6'1 and 190 and fit in my Model 4 just great.

A Model 5 or newer will be a better fit as the cabin is a bit larger than the 4. I also own a Just Highlander. That will have the largest cabin of any you've described. I have a pic of a 6'8 385 lb guy sitting in one and he fit just fine. But honestly, for me I actually like the fit in my Kitfox better. It is more of an airplane you "wear". When flying my Highlander my elbows don't even touch the door, so it doesn't have as nice of a feel imho (would be better if I gain some weight and girth )

One airplane not mentioned in this thread you may want to consider is an Avid Magnum. It would be more of something between the Champ and the Stinson for size, but with most of the attributes of the Avid/ Kitfox family. It was designed specifically for guys your size and bigger. And it is a phenomenal aircraft. With a typical 160 hp lycoming up front, it is a great performer as well as a load hauler. And they can sometimes be had for a song, as many people don't know about the Magnum.

Oh, and I think Desert Fox nailed it with his comments. I learned to fly in a Cub, and consequently hold an affection towards the Cubs, Champs, Taylorcrafts, Stinsons, etc. But I just can't bring myself to give up the performance, versatility, or practicality of the Kitfox in favor of the antique types. I love pretty much anything that flies, but there's something about the Kitfox genre that just never grows old for me. And that says a lot because I've been flying them since the mid 80's, or 31 years to be exact.

There's my story and I'm sticking to it...
    Paul Seehafer

Thought this would be worth posting..

This guy was 6' - 10". He was surprised he fit.. he had tried on several that day.

Yes he did get a Kitfox!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

OK!. Now Im worried... I am 5'4", 140#. Am I Going to fit??!

Just remember when you order your seat upholstery kit to order the thicker seat cushions. I am 5'10" and wish I had ordered the 2" cushions. Kitfox may also have other thickness options.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I am preparing for all the pads necessary. I remember flying with Stick and Rudder. Steve had to throw both of his available seat backs behind me.

I'm 5'7" 200 Lbs & I fit.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas