Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rod End Corrision

Default Rod End Corrision

20170701_163808.jpg

The rod ends on my project have some surface corrosion. I use the wire wheel to clean them up. No pitting is observed. Any problems in cleaning them up with a wire wheel? They appear to originally have a very thin chrome finish, which disappears after wire wheeling them.
    Thanks
    Brian

Default Re: Rod End Corrision

I am not an expert but if just surface cleaning and spraying them might be okay but for just a few $$ I would replace them. No short cuts in building a plane as far as safety is concerned in my mind.

The coating on them is cadmium which provides a barrier to prevent corrosion. IMHO it would be best to replace them, but they could be painted and reused. If you paint them DON'T allow any paint to get into the ball & socket.

Even more important than the surface corrosion is that the ball is free to pivot, free from corrosion and not loose in the socket. If it has any of these problems replace it.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I found this stuff on line to protect and prevent corrosion on a Sterling Silver project. It is also used for protecting the patina on bronze sculptures in outdoor settings. I just finished using it on a copper display fixture. It is an easy to use wipe on or spray material - maybe useful on polished aluminum landing gear. Just a thought.

( I suspect the non painted or plated comment reflects the usual protection afforded by plating and its purpose to give similar protection)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel