Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox SS7 emergency landing in Northern South Africa.

Default Kitfox SS7 emergency landing in Northern South Africa.

http://lowvelder.co.za/308198/plane-lands-on-vehicles/

Also

http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewto...p?f=9&t=167835

It would seem that our Kitfoxes are really strong and crashworthy, that they could hit two vehicles and still remain controllable..

You all have a blessed Christmas from a really hot and dry South Africa.

P.S. And please fly safely!

Default Re: Kitfox SS7 emergency landing in Northern South Africa.

Do we have, and if not, do we need a kitfox safety and advice section on this forum?

I know that I would certainly like to get advice from the people who have gleaned knowledge from experiences specific to Kitfox operations in different configurations and models.

Regards.
    Reid

I think a safety section would be nice.

Pilots could share their experiences with emergency situations so other pilots can learn from it.

In the Military world we do it like that.

Merry Christmas Kitfoxers from all over the world :-)

TUNA

Rooster,

Maybe not a "Great" landing but certainy a "Good" one....good nobody got hurt......

Landing on a road has its's + & - ......way back in my neighborhood a pilot made an emergency landing on a road with no damage to the aircraft........until a car came along later and plowed into the parked aircraft.

I think the analysis of difficulties probably ends up in the engine or general section of this list...not that there are very many; but it is always useful when people are able to share their findings in the interest of preventing things from happening.

Another point you may or may not be aware of. John Mc Bean has an inexpensive reference book for sale that covers so much of the handling characteristics of all the different Kitfox models...one of my favorite Kitfox references.

Sincerely,

Dave S

Thumbs up Re: Kitfox SS7 emergency landing in Northern South Africa.

I have always heard, “If everyone can walk away from it, it was a good landing.” I had a friend of mine (man worked for me) that was a very high time sail plane pilot. He was working on his Private Pilot’s License, and while doing his first solo long cross country for his license, he lost his engine and glided it in for a landing on Texas Highway 82 between Gainesville and Whitesboro. He made the newspaper, there was no damage to any cars, or the plane. The flying club mechanic checked the plane out and got it running in short order. After they got it running the Texas Highway Patrol officers stopped the traffic on the road, and Mike took off and headed back to Home Base. The flying club is still flying that aircraft.

So, “If everyone can walk away from it, it was a good landing.”

Merry Christmas!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

My buddy had an engine self destruct in 2008 on a time building flight when he was working on his commercial in upstate New York. He found the only piece of straight road and put it on with no damage. I'll have to get the story from him again but the biggest issue was that they hadn't cleared customs yet.