Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ELT or Personal Locator Beacon

Default ELT or Personal Locator Beacon

I know 10 years ago we were required to pack around a 5 lb brick that was installed in our airplanes. It was called a ELT. Has the FAA ever cought up with the times and allowed a personal Locater Beacon instead of an ELT?

Default Re: ELT or Personal Locator Beacon

In this link, from America-King, they say it isn't required to have an ELT in an experimental aircraft.

I'd say check with your FSDO or inspector to see what they say, to be sure.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Nope, 14CFR 91.207
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Here's an ELT with a built in GPS that weighs 2 pounds including tray for less than $600. ARTEX ELT 345 GPS / 406 / 121.5 WITH WHIP ANTENNA http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ex11-13989.php
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I believe that the only experimental aircraft that don't require an ELT, by regulation, are single-place.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I haven't built/bought yet but when I do I will carry a SPOT personal locator.

The mandatory 406 is rearing it's head up here again. At least they have come down in price since the last time TC tried to mandate them. We squeaked away from that one. You only need them now in commercial AC and if operating in Northern Domestic Airspace.

I do have some friends in SAR and they say not having a 406 is a foolish mistake...so maybe i'l bite the bullet and get one.

My two cents on the PLB thing. As a former SAR instructor and past distributor of both SPOT and ACR 406 products I'd always recommend a 406 over the SPOT as your personal device unless your airplane is already equipped with a 406 ELT. I've done a lot of testing in various use scenarios and found it was relatively easy to put the SPOT in positions where a signal would not get out. You can mitigate that risk by always flying with a SPOT in tracking mode rather than relying only on a 911 broadcast once downed. At least you'd be leaving behind a trail of trackpoints that *might* point your rescuers the right direction.

My ELT is an old 121.5 so I bought a ACR PLB not only to carry in the plane but also when hiking and snowshoeing. I go off trail in the back country a lot by myself.

The PLB is a compromise carried in the plane. I should get a 406 ELT too now that they have come down in price.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

FYI the ARTEX 345 ELT does not have a built in GPS, it needs to get the data from an external GPS. The information on the home page of the product was unclear, but they answer it on the Q&A tab.

I put the ACK-04 406 ELT in my plane and it needs an external GPS signal. The price has really come down since I got mine. The price is $130 less then the Artex 345. They are comparable units and weights the same. I think the ACK's replacement battery is less expensive too.

I plan to fly with a SPOT. Since I have a 406 ELT I don't see any reason to have a PLB too. The SPOT will show my track and possibly the position in the event of an accident. The ELT will pinpoint my position within a few hundred feet if it activates with the last known GPS position.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016