Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Survival Vests

Default Re: Survival Vests

I do have a vest. Very light and made of mesh so it's cool. I only cary a few items in it. 3 ways of starting fire, some basic medical supplies for splinting bones and filling flesh wounds, several food bars, candy, a good knife, fish line & hooks, some para chord, safety wire, a signal mirror, no ball whistle, a laser light and my SPOT. I always carry a handgun on my belt and my phone in my pocket.

I can figure out which way north is so I figure I don't need a compass. I can build a pretty good shelter out of natural materials. I have water in my plane but if I loose that I can find water in the earth, plants or find a water source. Drinking bad water usually won't make you sick for a few days but a filter straw is a great idea. I also cary a good coat, stocking cap, gloves and duct tape in my plane.

It was discussed by the guy who made the survival vest that the average rescue is 42 hours. Less if you have a good signal, like the SPOT or other device. Even if there isn't a phone signal I always have it on tracking and that will at least provide a clue as to my location. I also have a good group of SPOT trackers who watch my SPOT website when I'm out (friends, some backcountry pilots, some outdoorsmen, my A&P). I also always try to go with someone else as a flight of two when on a plane camping trip in the wilderness.
    Last edited by SkySteve; 12-01-2015 at 10:14 PM.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

A bag like Steve's (DF4) example, on the passenger seat that can be grabbed quickly may be a better option for us Kitfox-ers. Can you tell us what that pre-made bag is or where it came from?
    The store I purchased this kit from is no longer in business. Similar kits are available many places online.

image.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I agree that the vest in the video is a bit too bulky, however, I like the comment Steve Wilson made keeping the vest simple and light. One never knows how fast you might need to exit the aircraft. Essentials like a PLB, fire-starting, etc (everyone can determine what their essential list should be). Load your vest up to YOUR comfort level and have a bag stashed in the passenger seat or back with the secondary list of goodies. Just my two cents.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Sounds more reasonable, Dan.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

A comment from Steve caught my eye. He mentioned Fishing line in his kit. I doubt this would be appropriate for those flying the Desert Southwest. When we used to fly our back country flights of six - in keeping with Steve's preference of flying at least two by two - I always used my "Air Camping Checklist" for packing.

Maybe we could start a "Sticky" where folks could post their Checklists, Emergency Kit contents and Camping gear lists. This could help broaden the scope of things we typically think of first, and lessen those, "I wish I had" lists. Case in point when we were out in Idaho Somewhere and one of the guys discovered an inoperative ignition module. Because of my video camera mount, and a failure once with the wiring, I always carried a butane powered soldering iron. There were several VOMs in the group and one of those helped find the broken wire then a puff of smoke later it was in the air again.

My wife and I continue to this day lifting every camp chair we see checking for light weight. I had an 8 lb. two man tent that I vowed never to replace at less than half the weight savings, which I eventually did. These ideas might fit on such a thread as well.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

A comment from Steve caught my eye. He mentioned Fishing line in his kit. I doubt this would be appropriate for those flying the Desert Southwest.
    Lowell, I had to laugh approvingly at your comment. I agree "fishing for the big one" in the desert is probably a mirage (pun intended). The same is true for much of Utah. However, the fishing line and hook are not just for that. Here is my somewhat twisted thinking. If I'm truly stranded and/or badly hurt, the fishing line and hook can be used for: (1) Yes, maybe catching a fish; (2) More likely just passing time trying to catch a fish; (3) But, if you break off the hook's barb, now you have a curved needle and good strong thread to sew something back together. That something could be gear, clothing, shelter or even skin. Yes, I have sewn a bad wound with fishing line and a hook. For such light weight and small space I think it's one of the best "tools in my bag of tricks". I just wrap the fishing line around something else in my vest, such as the roll of vet wrap (another great medical invention, now used by phlebotomists instead of a bandaid after taking a blood sample).
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Steve,
    Your note is exactly what I was thinking about. I am sure there are simple items that have numerous uses if the MacGuyver approach is considered. If we all collaborated on our thinking, I am sure our kits could be more utilitarian, efficient and compact.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I fly mostly in Pa, we have lots of mountains here, not very high a few thousand feet but very dense, I would love to see what others have considered a must for hostel terrain overflight. When traveling I generally plan my trip around vast areas of mountain ranges. For me it's the joy of flight not getting there in any short amount of time, but there are times I am over just trees for many miles.