Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Matco brakes

Default Re: Matco brakes

I had a similar problem on my RANS with the MATCO brakes. It took a lot of bleeding to get the air out. I ended up using an oil squit can filled with brake fliud. I put a bunch of rags around the master cylinder resevoir to catch the overflow, when I was bleeding them. I attached a small, snug fitting tube from the squirt can nozzle to the bleed screw on the wheel cylinder and kept pumping in fluid until there was no longer any air visibly coming out of the master cylinder. I actually had to do it a couple of times, with testing the pedal hardness, before I finally attained proper working brakes. I have now moved up to 29" AkbushWheel Airstreaks on the plane and the single pucks are not suffiecient. I am going to have to move up to dual calipers or double puck brakes.

Am I asking too much to be able to step on one brake, spin around 90 degrees and not have that wheel move at all? Maybe I am asking too much. I see all the comments about nosing over. I'd love to have that concern

Anyway, I love being able to converse with guys having to deal with similar problems. I had to put the Kitfox in the barn. I fly to Alaska tomorrow to run an old power scow buying salmon in Bristol Bay. I have to work these next two months so I can afford this little 80HP mistress. No internet on the boat. Just dreamin' about flying!Thanks for listening.

Reading about some that have Matco brakes that work fine and some that don't I think it would be good to ask if those who are having problems have done a proper break in procedure on the brake pads? Does Matco have a break in procedure for new pads? If you don't do a proper break in you can end up with glazed pads that are virtually ineffective. Just wondering.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Phil, I broke mine in according to Matco's directions. Didn't glaze the pads or rotors. Still somewhat lackluster stopping power. No soft pedals or trapped air in the stainless lines. Go figure.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Has anyone experimented with different pad materials?
    Would softer pads give better braking?
    I would sacrifice pad life for a little bit better brakes,still running original 1991 pads!
    My matco's are ok for a 2 stroke kf3 but would struggle with a4stroke

Today I measured the hydraulic pressure down at the wheel cylinders. With max effort I can get 400 to 500 lbs. I had a long conversation with the MATCO service tech and he says that the pressure is just what I should have, but says that it's unusual for a KitFox to have that much pressure. It has to do with the geometry of the brake pedal and the brake master cylinder.

What we decided was to install a second wheel cylinder. I had already purchased new ones, so I'll just add my olds back on. They are sending me a new brake mounting plate to incorporate the two cylinders.

I guess the next thing you'll hear from me is how I managed to stand this thing on it's nose.

It should be interesting to see how this plays out.

Cheers,
    Chuck Gruby
    Petal, Kit Fox III Flying

thanks for the updates . would be helpful when you get this two cylinder setup completed to have some pictures . I'm sure there a lots of followers of this.
    good luck .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Quote Originally Posted by cap01 View Post
    thanks for the updates . would be helpful when you get this two cylinder setup completed to have some pictures . I'm sure there a lots of followers of this.
    good luck .
    Will do. On MATCO's web site they have a drawing of this configuration. I'm sure anxious get it installed and try it out.
    Chuck Gruby

Well, I promised to post an update when I got the dual wheel cylinders installed, so here it is, such as it is .............I contracted some sort of respiratory infection which prevented me from making better progress.

The cylinders were installed onto the backing plates. Centering them on the axels was made more difficult in that the hole was much larger hole than required. It's a pretty snug fit, but I managed to get it installed using only 3 bolts as opposed to 4. According to MATCO, three is sufficient.

Some of my brake disc hold down screw receptacles were stripped and were repaired using Heli-Coils. Once the wheel is on, It's virtually impossible to inspect the operation for freedom of movement, so it was bleeding time and take it out and try it.

Bleeding went relatively smooth, except for spilling fluid all over the place. It's important to fabricate some fittings so the bleeding apparatus can be coupled up to avoid a lot of spillage, thus contaminating the pads.

The next step was to take it out and taxi test it. Initially, I could not tell any difference in the braking authority at all. After a few runs up and down the runway, conditioning the brake pads, I actually was able to lock up one wheel and pivot on that wheel, but not without a lot of effort. I never was able to lock up the right side. I'd say I might have improved the overall capability about 25%.

The plan now is to bring the airplane back home where I can go over the whole operation carefully to make sure something isn't binding somewhere. I want to also measure the pressure again to make sure I have 450psi at the wheels.

I had expected a dramatic change, and to say I'm a little frustrated is putting it mildly, but I think I'm making a little progress nevertheless.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cgruby; 06-12-2015 at 09:50 AM.
    Chuck Gruby