Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Transponder Replacement

Default Transponder Replacement

The Narco 50 gets hot and shuts off, and the avionics guy says it would cost more to fix than it would be worth. Options seem to be about $500 - 700 for another Narco, with no guarantee it will last; or $1,500 - 2,000 for a new mode C transponder, or $2,500 - $3,500 for a mode S. Since mode S will be needed in about 8 years, if I go new I guess mode S makes the most sense. But I am thinking I would like to do this cheap now.
    Dwight B. Van Zanen
    Maple Valley, WA and
    West Columbia, SC
    PP/ASEL/IA
    Avid Mk 4 Aerobat

Default Re: Transponder Replacement

Caution, as I understand it Mode S will be outdated and should not be confused with ADSB (others please correct me if I have this wrong). I picked up a nice Mode c Garmin unit on Ebay for ~$600.

There is a nice GTX320A on Ebay now (new condition)
    Last edited by Dorsal; 03-20-2012 at 08:02 AM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I think Dorsal's got it right. Go on the less expensive side but get a solid state unit used like one of the Garmins. Ought to run cooler and be reliable.

-- Paul S

For a Mode S transponder to be compliant with ADS-B OUT a TSO-C146A GPS (WAAS) has to be connected. This gets VERY expensive. The other way to participate with ADS-B is with a Universal Access Transceiver (UAT). The technology is young and the regulatory dust has not settled. One day any of us who operate in airspace that now requires Mode C will need to have ADS-B. I want a little more clarity before I get my feet wet.

Thanks. Used Mode C for me, for now.
    Dwight B. Van Zanen
    Maple Valley, WA and
    West Columbia, SC
    PP/ASEL/IA
    Avid Mk 4 Aerobat

Scratch that. New Mode C by Garmin. I could not find a good used one with much if any warranty for a reasonable price. The one that looked possible, was sold when we called. So on the basis of my rule-of-thumb I bought new. My rule is, if it will cost more than 50% of the cost new to fix or replace the old item, it is likely best to buy new with a new warranty. In this case, it was close to 75% of the cost new, to buy and install a good used solid state transponder. Done deal.
    Dwight B. Van Zanen
    Maple Valley, WA and
    West Columbia, SC
    PP/ASEL/IA
    Avid Mk 4 Aerobat

Cool, onward and upward
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive