Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Model I Weight & Balance

Default Model I Weight & Balance

Hello to everyone.

I just purchased Model 1 SN 133, for which the original Denny Aerocraft purchaser/builder received an Airworthiness Certificate in 2015 ( Experimental, Operating Amateur Built Aircraft). It took him almost thirty years to finish it. The airplane tach now shows a total time of 20.3 hours, which is true and correct. The airplane is essentially brand new, and looks it. 582 powered (engine purchased in 2009).

My current problem is that the builder's manual does not seem to exist in the paperwork that I have received with the airplane, including weight and balance information that makes complete sense. Apparently the Datum is the leading edge of the wing, but the CG range is given as '51'.

So once again hello to everyone, and I'll ask my first question of the Forum: What is the CG range for a Plain Vanilla Model 1? I'm sure there will be many more questions as this process unfolds.

Any and all comments or information would certainly be appreciated ...

Thanks to all in advance,

John Adcock, A&P, IA
    San Diego, CA
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Model I Weight & Balance

Welcome aboard John. Great looking Model 1. Lots of inexpensive fun in your immediate future.

You might email Kitfox Aircraft and see if a model one manual is still available.
    Several model 1 owners on site. Someone will have a c.g. range for you.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

The instructions for the Model 1 weight and balance are posted as 5 seprate PDF files in this thread http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=6258

It says model II but you will see the instructions are for the model 1. They are 5 PDF files in post number 5.

It is a bazaar way to do a weight and balance and much more complex than it needs to be.

With some careful reading I found that the 51 inches is the wing aerodynamic cord. It includes the flaperons, that's how the cord is measured on these planes.

With some digging you will find the CG limits are between 20% and 28% of the wing cord. S0. the CG limits are 10.2 for most forward and 14.28 for most aft CG
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Welcome aboard John. Since your close, we will likely run across one another some day soon I hope. Lots of wires to install on mine yet. That is a pretty KF1 I must say.
    Eddie

Thumbs up Re: Model I Weight & Balance

Many thanks to all! I have been out of town and away from my email/internet connections so please forgive my tardiness in responding.

Problem #1 solved!

Thanks again to everyone, looks to be a great forum!

jda8818